Question

Chopyy wi fi / streaming problems with Sonos App with iPhone 7

• 7 November 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge
My Sonos system worked great with my iPhone 6 and then I upgraded to the iPhone 7 a few days ago. Ever since I've been getting choppy connection when I use the Sonos app. I have been getting error messages about insufficient bandwidth. I ran speedtests and I definitely have plenty of bandwidth (34mb download, 5mb upload) for streaming. Anyone else having issues like this with the new iPhone 7? FYI, I have IOS 10 on my iphone 6 too and never had these problems.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you still have trouble after what suggested maybe your router is having trouble with the media streams and its own bandwidth. You could try hooking one Sonos unit by Ethernet to your router (starting sonosnet) and see if that helps free up your wifi.
Badge
If you don't have any Sonos units hooked to your router then your using standard wifi for everything.

How many Sonos units do you have?

I have a sub, soundbar, and 2 play 5's.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you don't have any Sonos units hooked to your router then your using standard wifi for everything.

How many Sonos units do you have?
Badge
Your phone shouldn't have any effect on something like streaming from Tidal etc. That is strange.

Could be some IP conflicts on your network causing you trouble. I would try and turn off every wifi device you can reboot router and then bring them all back up.

Are you using Sonosnet (one sonos unit hooked to your router) or wifi only mode

I am not familiar with Sonosnet. I was just running the Sonos app on my phone through wifi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your phone shouldn't have any effect on something like streaming from Tidal etc. That is strange.

Could be some IP conflicts on your network causing you trouble. I would try and turn off every wifi device you can reboot router and then bring them all back up.

Are you using Sonosnet (one sonos unit hooked to your router) or wifi only mode
Badge
Also, the choppiness would get worse when I used other apps on my phone like Facebook, email, etc.
Badge
Are you playing a song that resides on your iPhone 7.

Are you using the regular wifi vs. 5ghz wifi at your home. 5ghz gives you better bandwidth from phone (but less range).

I would try resetting wireless completely on your iPhone

go into iPhone settings....wifi...remove your home network.
reboot router
reboot phone
add home wif back on phone
try sonos then.

No I mostly play music with apps like Tidal and Pandora. This was occurring while using Tidal (within the Sonos app). This occurred right after I brought the iPhone home from the Verizon store, so the first time I used it on my network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are you playing a song that resides on your iPhone 7.

Are you using the regular wifi vs. 5ghz wifi at your home. 5ghz gives you better bandwidth from phone (but less range).

I would try resetting wireless completely on your iPhone

go into iPhone settings....wifi...remove your home network.
reboot router
reboot phone
add home wif back on phone
try sonos then.