Question

Choosing the right broadband channel

• 15 January 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, I'm having connectivity problems at the moment when playing tracks from Spotify. The music cuts out frequently, and I've read that changing the router configuration can help. According to the Sonos help page, if I set the router to channels 1, 6 or 11 this will help.

Has anyone done this and does it work? FYI - I am using a SKY Q router.

Out of channels 1, 6 or 11 - Is there one which is best?

I'm a little bit techie but I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with this, so any help would be great.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge
I regularly change the channel on my router simply because 13 is the fastest for me but my work laptop won't work on 13 so I change to 11.

Try different channels and see if any are better. I think it depends as to what channel your neighbours are using as to which will be best/fastest for you.

I also have a Sky router - http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/How-to/How-to-change-your-wireless-channel/ba-p/2687733
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sonos and your router shouldn't be on the same channel, so make sure that you set Sonos to a different channel to your Sky one.

Are you just using WiFi or Sonos Net for your Sonos speakers? Sonos Net should be more reliable.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi MrKeith, thanks for your response. I have a Boost connected to the router - does that answer your question? According to the Sonos help page I can change the setting via the Sonos app - On iOS or Android: From the More tab, select Settings > Advanced Settings > SonosNet Channel. I'm not sure how to find out what channel SKY is set to, so I can then pick a different one for Sonos. Is it a trial and error scenario?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yes, with the BOOST you are running Sonos Net.

With Sky, you should have instructions when the Router was supplied on how to review and change your router settings. I did have Sky but have moved to BT. Might be worth doing a search or phoning up support.

If to can find out what your router setting is, then changing Sonos to a different channel will be straight forward.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks MrKeith. I will give that a go.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Cool.

It might not solve your problem but it's a good starting point.

There's lots of other potential solutions but best try one at a time!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, I updated my router settings so that my Broadband runs on Channel 1 and Sonos runs on Channel 11. So far everything works great. Spotify is not cutting out and my broadband speed has actually improved. I'm now getting 40MB download speed with 10MB upload which is great for where I live.

Thanks everyone.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Result!