Question

Charging move from dead-flat with USB-C PD 45w

• 10 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi all, I have a technical request i think.

How/can I charge a sonos move through USB-C from dead flat?

I have moved overseas so dont have access to my charging ring. Somehow the move appears to have gone dead flat and now wont charge from the USB-C charger.

My guess it it cant complete handshake and tell the charger what it needs, or even activate the charger because sonos haven't planned for leaving a minimum charge amount. 

That being the case what are my options to get the move to charge? Any creative ideas or perhaps another reason it wouldn't be charging?

I'm wondering if its possible to force just enough charge into the move to allow it to wake up the USB. Ridiculous ideas include long strings of batteries taped together...

Products: sonos move, samsung 45W USB-C PD (20VDC@2.25A or 15VDC@3A or 16VDC@2.8A), 5A USB-C cable. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @MaNic.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I would be more than glad to assist you with this concern.

• I see the details of the USB-C PD and it looks like it met the requirements needed to charge the Move.
  • The Move is designed to charge by setting it on its included charging base, or power it on the go with any compatible USB-C PD travel charger that is 45 watt or greater
  • There might be some factors that can cause this, have you tried using another USB-C PD charger?
  • Is the charger directly plugged into a power outlet?
  • Ensure that the USB-C cable is fully inserted into your Move and power source.
  • Recommended rating 45 watts or greater. The PD source must output either 20V/2.25A (or higher current) or 15V/3A (or higher current).
  • Anything less than these requirements will not power nor charge the Move.

If it doesn’t help, we would really need to try it using the charging ring to see the behavior of the device.

If the Move turns on, we can continue with further investigation, but if it won’t, it’s going to be a different side to look at.

I am looking forward to assisting you further from here.
If you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Hello @Annazel S , hello @MaNic !
I have experienced the same issue: I took my Move on vacation and when I ran it until the battery was completely empty I could not recharge it using my MacBook Pro‘s power adaptor. I used the cable that came with my MacBook Pro, trying other cables at home did not solve the issue. When I used the Sonos charger after that the completely dead Move was put back to live.

It seems that the Move was unable to negotiate the correct charging settings because of insufficient power - a very unsatisfactory behavior.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Lots of users have experienced similar issues with charging the Move from flat.  Given the longstanding issue with the Move going flat very quickly while it is ‘Moved', it's an issue that would be good to resolve.  It's generally only putting it back on the base that brings it to life again.

Given these still longstanding issues with Sonos’ first foray into the portable speaker market, it will be interesting to see if they're ever resolved at all or make it onto their next portable speaker - if there is one.

It's a standard lith ion battery (much lower capacity than you might think) and really shouldn't have such issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reaching out and for bringing this up to our attention.

We highly appreciate all your feedback and rest assured that our Engineering Team is closely monitoring if there are tickets forwarded to them.

Upon doing my research, I’ve found this relevant thread and I find it very informative, you might want to check it, here is the link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/what-are-people-using-for-usb-c-charger-for-sonos-move-6831348

Please let us know if you have additional concerns. We’d be glad to help.