Answered

Changed wifi router. Cannot Ethernet. Should I reset Speaker and set up as new?

• 29 July 2020
  • 5 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Changed wifi router. Answers and support seems to suggest need to connect speaker to new router via Ethernet cable to change settings to new wifi. Cannot physically connect as too far and units immovable. I’m a bit stuck. Should I reset speaker and perform new set up?  

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 29 July 2020, 23:40

Hi @IDib.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your effort in checking the answers on how to Connect Sonos to a new router or WiFi network.

This will require you to temporarily connect the Sonos speaker to your router with an Ethernet cable if the wireless set up is not going through, and it is the most common fix suggested.

As much as possible, we don’t recommend resetting Sonos products on your system because it will permanently delete your system’s data. It cannot be restored.

This process will delete registration information, content saved to My Sonos, and music services from a Sonos product. 

Before proceeding, I would recommend you read the full article first in our support website under Reset your Sonos product.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @IDib.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your effort in checking the answers on how to Connect Sonos to a new router or WiFi network.

This will require you to temporarily connect the Sonos speaker to your router with an Ethernet cable if the wireless set up is not going through, and it is the most common fix suggested.

As much as possible, we don’t recommend resetting Sonos products on your system because it will permanently delete your system’s data. It cannot be restored.

This process will delete registration information, content saved to My Sonos, and music services from a Sonos product. 

Before proceeding, I would recommend you read the full article first in our support website under Reset your Sonos product.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thanks. I only have one speaker in the system. It seems I have no option.  Very unsatisfactory to say the least. I’ll just pause for a while to check if any less unsatisfactory solutions are offered. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @IDib.

Thanks for the immediate response.

Sorry to hear that the options don’t work for you, and I appreciate you consider checking it again.

If just in case, doing a factory reset would be your last resort, and it’s going to be like a new product setting up a new Sonos system.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

Ok all. I decided to dismantle TV unit with inbuilt Playbar to connect via Ethernet cable and change settings that way. Recognised new wifi and all seemed ok. So rebuilt unit and speaker set up and tried to access my music. Oh no, it said I had to connect (again) via cable. So , take 2 and check this time 100% set up. It was so now back up and running with new wifi. Only took about one hour- could have been worse, but could have been oh so much better. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @IDib.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

I highly appreciate your time and patience on this, I’m glad to hear that it’s now back up and running.

I’m looking forward to the continuous smooth sailing of your system.

If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

You are always welcome in the community.

Cheers!