Answered

Change Sonos location

• 3 June 2019
  • 7 replies

The other day we went with our friends for a weekend to a holiday house and I had the idea to bring my Sonos for some good BBQ tunes.

It is crazy how difficult it is for the Sonos to change wifi. I tried 20 times following the Sonos process and nothing worked. In the end the only way I could change the Sonos wifi was to (its ridiculous that this is necessary but anyway)

Factory reset the sonos
Uninstall and install the Sonos app on my phone

There has to be an easier way for this to work, but for the life of me I nothing else would.

Any comments from the Sonos team?

Oh yeah and I also bought the Sonos one almost 2 years ago thinking I was gonna be able to use Google assistant, but this still hasn't happened.

Too be honest I'm not very happy with my purchase...
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 June 2019, 21:00

Freeb0,

Just cable a Sonos device to the router at the new location and then power on any other speakers (if you have taken more than one with you) ... connect your mobile to the same routers WiFi signal and away you go... Job done!

If you then decide that you don’t want to leave the initial speaker cabled to the router and prefer to run all speakers on the new WiFi ... just change the wife credentials in Advanced/Settings/Wireless Setup of the Sonos App.

No need to factory reset or uninstall anything at all.

I regularly take two of my Sonos One speakers to my Son's house, when they have a garden party for family and friends.

It’s really a very easy/simple process, er...when you understand what you are doing and know how everything works.

The only difficult bit, is remembering to take the Ethernet cable that Sonos provide free with a majority of their products, as my son can never (ever) find the ones I have left at his house on previous occasions.
View original

7 replies

Freeb0,

Just cable a Sonos device to the router at the new location and then power on any other speakers (if you have taken more than one with you) ... connect your mobile to the same routers WiFi signal and away you go... Job done!

If you then decide that you don’t want to leave the initial speaker cabled to the router and prefer to run all speakers on the new WiFi ... just change the wife credentials in Advanced/Settings/Wireless Setup of the Sonos App.

No need to factory reset or uninstall anything at all.

I regularly take two of my Sonos One speakers to my Son's house, when they have a garden party for family and friends.

It’s really a very easy/simple process, er...when you understand what you are doing and know how everything works.

The only difficult bit, is remembering to take the Ethernet cable that Sonos provide free with a majority of their products, as my son can never (ever) find the ones I have left at his house on previous occasions.
Not every house has wifi with an accessible router. In this particular case I connected the Sonos to my other phone's wifi hotspot because of a lack of wifi in the holiday home. In these days of everything wireless, I'm convinced that the connection process should NOT involve physically connecting the Sonos with a cable to the router. That is just bad design and programming from the Sonos team.
Not every house has wifi with an accessible router. In this particular case I connected the Sonos to my other phone's wifi hotspot because of a lack of wifi in the holiday home. In these days of everything wireless, I'm convinced that the connection process should NOT involve physically connecting the Sonos with a cable to the router. That is just bad design and programming from the Sonos team.
I really don't think it is, The nature of Sonos, with everything stored on the speakers and a separate controller that must be on the same LAN creates a bit of a 'Catch 22' situation where the controller has to talk to the speaker to change the wifi credentials, but to do so has to be on the same LAN.

You should also bear in mind the history of Sonos development - it was and is conceived as a multiroom, networked home music system. Its original design required a wired component, and it is still better set up that way in many cases. It just isn't designed for carting around. But as Ken said, it can usually be done pretty simply if someone insists on doing so. And knows what they are doing. Perhaps you only have one speaker? That tends to lead people to expect Sonos to behave like a Bluetooth speaker and to forget what Sonos is designed to be.

So it isn't 'bad design and programming'. There is probably a legacy effect and I suspect it could be changed using direct peer to peer communication if Sonos thought it important. But I suspect your view is based on an inadequate understanding of the system design and its historical development.
To be honest, I couldn't care less about the historical development of Sonos. I care about the usability of it.

I understand the difference between a Bluetooth speaker and a wifi speaker like Sonos, this is not rocket science.

But it seems what you are telling me that these speakers are designed so that you can not move their location. (as when you do and do not have a physical cable the only way to configure them is to factory reset + un install the app) While in fact their size suggests otherwise.

The Google chromecast has the same catch 22 problem of the wifi where it connects for a couple of seconds directly to your phone to obtain the wifi details and it works flawlessly.

So I am still convinced that Sonos is making some bad mistakes here with the usability of their products.

I, for one, will not consider any Sonos products anymore in my house as they are not doing complying with what I want out of wifi speakers. On top of that is the fact that they still didn't implement the Google assistant and it's a recipe for disaster for Sonos stock.

An unsatisfied client.
Freeb0,

Nah the speakers are very simple to move to different locations, when you read the widely available instructions and know what you’re doing, even without physical access to the main router, I would have likely been able to set them up without resetting them, as long as the WiFi credentials were available.

I’m not sure I’d choose to take Sonos Speakers on holiday to a place that has no WiFi though, based on their publicised minimum system requirements, unless I had a 4g travel router of my own, or at the least a MiFi device handy to save me having to tie-up a mobile as a hotspot.

Personally speaking I think you would have perhaps been much better off taking a Bluetooth speaker to the WiFi-free holiday location that you had chosen on this occasion.
Sonos don't make portable speakers. They make multiroom, multi-controller multi-source home networked music systems.

Horses for courses.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I’ve had a “spare” One for a while, in a room where it was hardly ever used. So I bought it with me to our holiday home. Plugged it in, ran the App, added the speaker to the Wi-fi, ran Trueplay, chose some music, and had it all done in just a few minutes.

Now I’m sat down, relaxing, and browsing the Community site. Quite a coincidence to see this thread, but have to take issue with the OP: it is a very simple and quick process.