Answered

Change "main" speaker

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Hi all!

Right now I have three Sonos speakers: Playbar and two Play 3's. The single Play 3 is connected to my router. I want to make a change so that the Playbar is connected to the router and other speakers connect to it's mesh network. What is the correct procedure?
Thank you

Neven
icon

Best answer by ratty 31 July 2019, 12:36

Remove Ethernet cable from Play:3.
Insert Ethernet cable in Playbar.
Give it a few seconds to reconfigure the mesh.
View original

11 replies

Remove Ethernet cable from Play:3.
Insert Ethernet cable in Playbar.
Give it a few seconds to reconfigure the mesh.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
OMG, That is it? No need creating a new Sonos system in app?
Good grief, no. And don't go factory resetting anything either. The system sorts itself out.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Nice, I like Sonos more and more. Thinking of adding the SUB 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Nice, I like Sonos more and more. Thinking of adding the SUB :-)

DO IT!

You'll love it.

PS If you want a more complicated way of changing the speakers, per your original inquiry, we could suggest them, if you really want? 😀
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Hi all!

Right now I have three Sonos speakers: Playbar and two Play 3's. The single Play 3 is connected to my router. I want to make a change so that the Playbar is connected to the router and other speakers connect to it's mesh network. What is the correct procedure?
Thank you

Neven

OMG, I have just realized something. My wife when cleaning accidentaly removed the ethernet cable from my Play 3. All of my Sonos speakers are on wirelless. How do they work, then?

Neven
Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi all!

Thank you

Neven
OMG, I have just realized something. My wife when cleaning accidentaly removed the ethernet cable from my Play 3. All of my Sonos speakers are on wirelless. How do they work, then?

Neven

At one point you must have entered your wireless credentials in the app (settings => advanced settings => wireless set up), you don't need them when you have one unit wired to your router.
Indeed.

And having the wireless credentials in the system while one of them is wired can lead to dropout issues sometimes.

Make sure that there's only one way for the Sonos to connect, not two. That way they don't have the opportunity to flop between the two.
My wife when cleaning accidentaly removed the ethernet cable from my Play 3.
It can't exactly be accidental. The plug latches into the socket. One has to deliberately squeeze the sprung tab to remove it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Yes, I see that wirelless is on in the app. If I connect the ethernet cable will it change to off or do I have to make something else. Only thing the app offers if to configure the wirelless connection.

Thank you

Neven
You can leave things as they are if you want.

If you'd rather go back to 'wired' mode then plug in the Ethernet cable. Wait a couple of minutes, then go to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and hit the 'reset' option to remove your WiFi credentials from the system.

More fascinating detail:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3237