Answered

Certain Songs WILL NOT PLAY / Not recognized in Playlist

• 15 January 2020
  • 8 replies

I dont know if anyone has a solution to this but so far Sonos support cannot figure this out.

I manage my music and create playlists on my desktop (I use a program called MusicBee). 

When I create a Playlist and then open the Sonos Desktop App and Update Library, I will see the playlist there.  Most of the playlist will play cleanly.  However certain tracks are showing as an .mp3 filename as opposed to a song name.  These tracks will not play - when the playlist gets to them the message says "Unable To Play...Long Filename...Could Not be Found".  And then it skips to the next song.

This song is in the Music Folder in the same place and format as all the other songs on the playlist which DO play correctly.  And when I get the error message it will say Unable to Play...DESKTOP//MUSIC/SONG NAME not found.  And that message is correct - the song is not in the MUSIC folder, it is in a subfolder within the Music folder, based on the name of the artist.  This is true of every song in the library and in the playlist, but somehow for a select few of them it omits the subfolder names and is looking for them directly in the MUSIC folder and therefore not finding them.

If I play this song directly within Sonos App from the "Song" directory it works fine, its only when its part of an Imported Playlist that the song doesnt come up.  And its the same songs across multiple playlists that have this issue...

I spent over an hour with Sonos support and they could not figure this out - I removed and re-added the folder, I deleted and re-downloaded the song from Amazon (they thought maybe it was corrupted), tried a lot of things but issue remains unresolved.  This happens both from Sons Dekstop and also on the Android app.

Thanks would be very grateful for any ideas...

icon

Best answer by WPJoe 17 January 2020, 02:17

Just got off a call with Sonos tech support.  We figured out that the problem is happening with songs that have non-english characters in the path.  Like an “a” with an accent mark over it, for example.

Still not clear why the Windows Media Player m3u files are working and the MusicBee are not, but it clearly has to do with these characters somewhere in the path name...

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Sounds to me like an issue with the naming of those tracks within the XML or playlist file. My guess would be errant metadata causing the index to get the wrong location for the tracks.

On that same note, do you always have issues with the same songs in any playlist? Are there any playlists with that play those same songs without issue or do certain tracks not work no matter what?

Have you tried out using a different app to create a playlist with? For example, try using MediaMonkey to make a playlist using a few of the tracks that don’t work. Then you’d know if it’s an issue with MusicBee’s formatting of the playlist with those songs.

thank you for the reply.

yes it does seem to be the same songs having the issue each time across any playlist.  I am not sure although I feel like this issue is relatively new, and did not used to occur.

I agree it does seem that for some reason certain songs when put in a playlist are not being accurately represented in terms of their path...any ideas why this may be or what a fix might be?

I havent tried using a different application to make the playlist but will try that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The fix will depend on what the issue with those tracks is. Being that you’ve even re-downloaded them, I think it may be an issue with how the software makes playlists using them, but it’s hard to tell just yet. Some basic tests will help narrow things down. 

I just tried doing the same thing with Windows Music Player - it worked when I created a playlist in that application, both in wpl and m3u formats.

But does not work when the playlist is created in MusicBee….

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Well that’s a great start. Perhaps what you’re running into is the relative path issue mentioned here: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28606.0

It may not be specific to those tracks, but the location they’re in and where MusicBee thinks they should be. Check out their properties in MusicBee as well to make sure they’ve got the right location.

Just got off a call with Sonos tech support.  We figured out that the problem is happening with songs that have non-english characters in the path.  Like an “a” with an accent mark over it, for example.

Still not clear why the Windows Media Player m3u files are working and the MusicBee are not, but it clearly has to do with these characters somewhere in the path name...

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for the update! Sounds like maybe MusicBee has some issues with tracks that have those characters. I wonder if there’s a known bug with their software for this sort of thing. 

To update and for future people who may have this issue.  There is some issue between the way MusicBee encodes its m3u playlists and what Sonos is able to read properly.  Here is the follow up message I received from Sonos support on this issue:

After further investigation with the team, we have found out that this issue was due to all extended ASCII characters such as é, ö, ò, etc..., not being supported over the network protocols (NetBios, SMB, etc). While the M3U file contains the correct path, Sonos being a network device, the Players are receiving an incorrect path as those characters need to be parse before being sent across the network. 

This was tested using iTunes, Windows Media Player(WMP), and Musicbee, and before sending out the path to the Players across the network, iTunes and WMP along with the network card on the computer convert and keep track of those characters before sending it to the Sonos Players. This was not the case when using Musicbee.

Ex: Original path (TEST): ...
\Music\SongÉ\Jönáh\Élizéò

ITunes converted path: .../Music/Song%C3%89/J%C3%B6n%C3%A1h/%C3%89liz%C3%A9%C3%B2

Musicbee non-converted path: ...\Music\SongÉ\Jönáh\Élizéò

You may convert those playlists into Sonos Playlists as suggested, or adjust the characters within the path and track names to allow them to parse through the network. You may also import the library in playlists to Apple iTunes.