Question

Cast to Device and Sonos

Badge +1
Hi, hope spmeone can help. I'm on latest Windows 10, and one of the great new features was to be able to Cast To my Sonos devices. However, since I've had a new Homehub 6, the Cast To feature now shows nothing. I've had a fresh windwows install courtesy off Microsoft, refreshed in cmd, and still no luck. Has anyone else had the same issue and resolved it? To recap, could Cast to Sonos, now can't after router change (btw BT help useless)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

In fact I will go and just update my windows 10 PC with the latest MS updates and see if I get any issues with casting and I will let you know shortly, that will save you uninstalling your windows update perhaps.
I have just checked that my Windows 10 PC is all upto date and the casting feature is still available to me (see screenshots), so I don't suspect it's the latest Windows update - The third party firewall, or windows firewall, is still looking the most likely area to focus on. Hope that helps a little.
Badge +1
I have now removed Kaspersky, enabled Windows Defender and checked that Sonos is allowed. No luck, and still in Network Sharing, no Sonos shows and in All Networks only unknown types appear which I assume are Sonos. As Sonos works with in every other respect for some reason my sharing does not fully see Sonos
So you had kaspersky firewall aswell? So is that three firewalls?

I assume there are no other firewalls remaining and you have turned off windows firewall (public/guest and private) as shown in my screenshots attached? If you do uninstall, or have to switch them off, I would also suggest a restart of the PC and then check..

If that still doesn't work, then in Windows there is a network trouble shooter, which can scan your system and repair any network problems so that would be the next step.

And finally, if it still doesn't work after that, then it may come down to running Windows SFC .. which again is 'last resort'. The system file checker will check and repair all the windows system files. Before doing that though my advice would be to wait for tier 2 Sonos Support and see what they can do to help you.
Badge +1
Well, it is finally happening. This is th trail of events: I started to roll back the latest Windows update and my pc had issues so it gave me the chance to do a proper clean auto install. What this did was install Windows defender but totally wipe Kaspersky. Result is that cast to works and all sonos devices show up on local network. Would seem Kaspersky was the issue here. I'll wait and see what the Tec guys post and post here, but once again thanks for your help
Out of interest, you initially fingered the Hub6. What else happened around that time? Kaspersky install/update, or a Windows update?
Badge +1
I think Hub 6 is coincidental at best. The updates for Kaspersky would seem to be the issue as WD is now fully updated with no problems. Kaspersky updates continually so could easily be that, and my thoughts are that there was a clash with firewalls as either Windows or Kaspersky would never seem to be fully off
user236485,

I used to use kaspersky and I found it often would block things even though I had opened various ports... but I'm talking some years ago, v5 I think it was and when I uninstalled it, it caused me untold problems with internet explorer and the browser support for activeX controls ... meaning that after the uninstall, I could not see some web pages, for example, my routers login page.

Reinstall kasperskey and the browser issue was fixed.

I never could fix the problem relating to the uninstall and eventually resorted to a PC backup (without it) . It put me off using kaspersky and I switched to ZoneAlarm... which also lost its way over time and now I just use built-in windows Firewall... not had any problems since... (touch wood).

So I reckon there are still 'possibly' some issues with the kaspersky firewall and its uninstall process... they have definitely had issues in the past because they did release a special 'removal and cleanup tool' for the old software .. which also never worked for me.

So my bet is there might be some issues (in general) with that firewall... we shall have to wait and see if any other users here go onto experience similar issues.