Cannot sign in because my email login isn't what's showing

Hello,

All of a sudden my Sonos speaker was no longer logged in on my iPhone app nor computer. When I go to login it says "Enter the account information for b***r@me.com" which is nothing like my email and when I login with my account info it says, "Sign in with the account used to set up Sonos". I've never had to do this before and the guy who installed it has been gone for two years. I reset my password and tried to follow the instructions below on both my phone and my computer but there is no option that says "I don't have access to this email" on either of those. I updated all my software. Still not there. Please help.

HELP TOPIC
I don’t recognize the email that is displayed. Can I change the email?
Yes. If someone else installed your Sonos system, it may be registered to their email address. You can change the email by tapping on “I don’t have access to this email.” This will allow you to enter in a new email address that you have access to. Your Sonos products will be registered to the new email that you’ve entered.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Same as Ryan above, cannot sign in since email is not recognized. Sonos Confirm # 2112560218. TX. Paul
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi, if you have the option to change your email from that page. Can you try going into the App and follow the steps here to link your Sonos products to your Sonos Account:

Using the Sonos app for iOS or Android: Tap Settings > Control Sonos from Spotify and following the on-screen prompts.
Using the Sonos app on Mac: Select Sonos > Preferences > Advanced > Music Sources > Control Sonos from Spotify and follow the on-screen prompts.
Using the Sonos app on PC: Select Manage > Settings > Advanced > Music Sources > Control Sonos from Spotify and follow the on-screen prompts.

When you go into there, one of the options should be to choose that you don't have access to the email, which should allow you to change the account. Likely, the system was set up by the installer under his email.

Let us know how it goes.
Neither from my iPhone nor my Mac in the Sonos app can you get to Settings or Preferences when you're not signed in. The only option other than to sign in is "more options" leading to add a boost or bridge, about my sonos system, submit support, reset controller, or view sonos help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you can Submit a Diagnostic, go ahead and do that for us, I'll take a look for you. I'll just need the confirmation number.
Thank you! Confirmation is 7489036
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ok, so the state your system is in is a bit messy, but we should be able to sort it out.

First off, the reason you can't access any of those settings is because you don't have anything connected or showing up except for your BRIDGE. When you try to add a player, it asks for your Sonos password, on purpose, but without any players connected you don't have the option to change the account.

So, what we need to do is get your players connected up. I'd recommend starting with simply rebooting your BRIDGE followed by any Sonos players you have. Just unplug the power for about 15 seconds each, then plug them back in.

Then, wait a few minutes and check the Sonos app

If your players don't connect on their own, we'll need to check the status of those devices. What are the lights on top of your Sonos players doing? Are any of them solid white? If one is, can you wire it temporarily into the network? If you can do that, check to see if your players are showing in the controller.

It may be best to work on this one live with a technician. If you'd like to do this, feel free to give us a call on our support line.
Okay thanks, I'll try that tomorrow morning when I have time to call in. Do you know why this would have happened all of a sudden when everything has been working for years? I want to be sure it doesn't happen again. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I can only speculate on the cause, my guess based on the interference showing on the BRIDGE is that the router changed channels to something close to Sonos'. But there are of course a lot of variables I can't account for with the details I've got right now.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have what appears to be the same issue; also It seems there are at least 2 threads on this subject, this one, and the following:
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/can-login-to-sonos-via-my-browser-but-can-t-login-to-amend-my-sonos-system-via-the-ios-app-6789306/index1.html#post16135607

Is any one from Support or Eng monitoring this? There is clearly some strange email insertion happening.
Badge
I am having the exact same issue, I'll try rebooting my BOOST. I've submitted diagnostics and a support ticket... fingers crossed... how'd your issues turn out in the end Chris_50?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am having the exact same issue, I'll try rebooting my BOOST. I've submitted diagnostics and a support ticket... fingers crossed... how'd your issues turn out in the end Chris_50?

I just responded to your other thread here.
I'm having the same issue
Badge
Same issue. Why is no-one able to solve this. It is clearly an issue with not recognising the emails properly. Seems to add in spurious characters and then can't login. SONOS you need to fix this urgently - our entire system has become unusable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey GEOO and Tim, if you're seeing emails that don't match up in your Sonos software, it's likely because the players were set up using a different email. If they were installed by a dealer or maybe were open box, they might have been registered previously and not reset when you set them up. The best thing to do is to go into the controller and under Settings > My Sonos Account you can transfer to a different email. If that option isn't available, likely your devices are on different software versions. Check that under Settings > About Sonos. If the controllers and players are on the same version, you should be fine, if they aren't you need an update.

You might be able to unplug devices that aren't updated and change the email then, or maybe us a controller that's on the same version.

If all else fails, and you're willing to start from scratch again, you can always factory reset your players and set up the system brand new, using the correct email. If you do that, you will lose any Sonos playlists or Sonos Favorites.
I have the same issue. There appears to be no way to change the email address.
I just had this issue and the trick for me was to disconnect the power from all the speakers in my system and only have my BRIDGE online. Then I finally got the option in the controller to transfer my current Sonos system to a new Sonos account from the random e-mail that suddenly showed up.
Same issue.....never had a problem until changed my wifi
Your confirmation number is: 1358607472
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Your confirmation number is: 1358607472
According to your diagnostic, your system is registered to an email that's exactly the same as the one you're using here, but with an extra c in it. Likely a typo when you registered it. You should be able to transfer your account to the correct email using the Sonos app. Go to Settings > Sonos Account and click Transfer. It might be hidden under your keyboard if you're doing this on mobile. Sometimes the option hides there.
I think if you follow the instructions that Ryan S posted above, you can reset your registration without him needing to look it up for you.
Same issue here. Neither my nor my spouse can log in on the app. But all of our speakers are on it and they are on my WiFi. The email address that shows up as the account owner is the upstairs neighbor who has never stepped foot in our condo. His speakers do not show up on mine and he does not have access to my WiFi, so WTF is his email coming up as the account owner?!! The speakers were set up before we even moved to our current unit, so this problem didn’t start until after the Sonos bridge was originally set up. :?
This worked for me:

Settings > Account Settings > Transfer Account > I don't have access to this email