Cannot power off Sonos Move

• 29 November 2021
  • 6 replies

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Frustrated with new Sonos Move.  Last week, I installed my Move. It sounded like a small handheld transistor radio.  No base at all.  Called support, went thru the motions and could not resolve issue so they sent me a new one. Arrived next day, so pretty darn good on Sonos getting my replacement to me quickly. Setup the new one up, tested a few songs and it sounded/worked great. About 5-6 hours later, went to use it and it would not respond to me, touching mic or other buttons, no effect.  Tried to power off and it would not power off. Held thew power button in about 30 seconds and it finally powered off. After powering back on status light only flashed white.  Tried a factory reset, but could not get the Move to connect to the app, also tried the local connection it gives you a choice to connect to, and would not work.  Tried factory reset again, no go.  Now I cannot even get the move to power off, constant slow white status light.  Seeing if anyone has any ideas before I call support. I wan’t confirmation the previous Move was received by Sonos before I call support again.  Getting gun shy about a third unit, thinking about trying to get a refund.  Never had an issue with my One or Playbase.  Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi 

Regarding your 2nd Move. You said it would not respond to you. What exactly are you referring to:

1. Could you not see it in the Sonos app?
  2. Would it not connect via Bluetooth?
  3. Could you not AirPlay to it?

I said Okay Google... to use the voice assistant. Thought the mic was possibly muted so touched the mic, no visual indication of it toggling off/on. Tried pressing the pause/play and volume buttons and no reaction from them. Unit was frozen. The Sonos app showed the unit was not connected. I then attempted powering off which took about 30 seconds of holding the power button to get it to power down.

I said Okay Google... to use the voice assistant. Thought the mic was possibly muted so touched the mic, no visual indication of it toggling off/on. Tried pressing the pause/play and volume buttons and no reaction from them. Unit was frozen. The Sonos app showed the unit was not connected. I then attempted powering off which took about 30 seconds of holding the power button to get it to power down.

If you factory reset a device, you will need to reinstall the Google assistant (bearing in mind the mic can be on for auto-TruePlay purposes too). I would also refresh the action in the Google Home App by checking for new devices (see screenshot). 

@RHNC 

You perhaps might find the following information useful too…

The Move Buttons

Power Button (Top)

• Off the charger-loop, a short press puts the Move into standby (or wake's it up). The Move falls into standby too (off it's charger-loop on WiFi) after 30 mins of inactivity. Simply opening the Sonos App (from fully closed state) on the same WiFi network will also wake-up the speaker.
  • A long press (5+ seconds) (off it's charger-loop) will turn off the Move completely.

Wifi/BT button (Middle)

• A short press will toggle BT mode/WiFi mode
  • A long press, when in BT mode, will enable BT pairing mode, to link a new mobile etc.

Join Button (Bottom)

• A short press will start pairing mode for Sonos Controller connection (initial setup of speaker only).
  • A long press will activate a snapshot button Diagnostic (you will see the LED switching colors, press the same button once more to get out of this mode), for example, while in Bluetooth mode you can trigger a Diagnostic in this way and reboot the 'Move' and submit a Diagnostic via the Sonos controller App.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unit will not even power off at this point. It has totally lost its head. Wanted to go thru reset but without being able to turn off can't do much with it. If support does not have some magic button press sequence to get the Move working again I will try one more replacement.

It needs to be off its charger - try holding the rear power button for 30+ seconds, see if that will resolve the matter.

If you treat it like a computer and take your time with the button-presses it will work perfectly - you may just have somehow locked it up.

It may come back to life - or you may need to just let the battery go flat off its charger, which should then allow you to bring it back online when you return it to the charger after it’s battery has drained and the status LED has powered off.