Answered

Cannot Connect Speakers

• 19 February 2019
  • 8 replies

I have had three Sonos speakers and a bridge for several years. I truly love the system when they work, but every few years it seems one thing or another craps out and I have to mess with them. Today is yet another example. Absolutely nothing has changed in my home -- nothing new, and everything but Sonos is working as it should. I also have wireless saturating every square inch of my home. Out of the blue the Sonos app on both my Mac and ALL devices would say there was no Sonos system. Here is what I have done:

- Connected a speaker to my home router via ethernet, and it played.
- Power cycled ALL network hardware. No luck.
- Disconnected everything from my home network. I mean verything! Leaving everything disconnected, I then carefully and patiently cycled on my DSL modem, then router, then switch, then Sonos bridge, then computer. No luck.
- Repeated the above process but still no luck.
- Did a factory reset on the bridge, and the app sees it and tells me it is ready to connect a speaker.
- I plug in a speaker and keep it within 2 feet of the bridge. The app sees the serial number of the speaker and got my hopes up but it won't connect. The LED flashes red, then eventually goes to solid red.
- Trying a different speaker I can repeat the exact same process with the same results.
- I did a factory reset on the speaker itself, it starts to flash green, I proceed to set up, flashes red, then goes to solid red.

Very frustrating. Nothing has changes on my home network. Nothing new added. No issues elsewhere. My home wireless saturates the house as I have two access points that are awesome.

What am I doing wrong??? Ready to throw everything in the garbabe and go back to old school wired stereo!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 February 2019, 01:25

And, a factory reset erases all of the information that might be in a diagnostic, which makes it harder for Sonos to look at the data and see what's going on.

I tend to agree with Misfit here. My initial thought was the power supply on the BRIDGE might be failing....but then you said that you plugged in other speakers to your router, and had the same issue. Did you happen to remove/unplug the BRIDGE first?

Aha, I misread your post. As near as I can tell from what you said, you're still trying to go "through" the BRIDGE. Try unplugging it from power and your router, and connect a speaker instead. May need to temporarily move the speaker, but since this is a temporary test, hopefully it's not too much of an issue.

If connecting another speaker rectifies your issue, then I'd say the power supply is indeed going/gone bad on the BRIDGE. You could get a replacement power supply on, for instance, Amazon, if you so desired, or replace the BRIDGE with a BOOST, which has a newer design, and works a little bit better. At least a better wifi antenna, and better rejection of interference.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I just submitted diagnostics. Confirmation #1689056831
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Stop factory resetting things, that will rarely fix the issue seeing how you're not tackling the root cause.

Ditch the bridge. Set up a new system seeing how it's been factory reset.

Also Sonos and Incompatible Hardware.
And, a factory reset erases all of the information that might be in a diagnostic, which makes it harder for Sonos to look at the data and see what's going on.

I tend to agree with Misfit here. My initial thought was the power supply on the BRIDGE might be failing....but then you said that you plugged in other speakers to your router, and had the same issue. Did you happen to remove/unplug the BRIDGE first?

Aha, I misread your post. As near as I can tell from what you said, you're still trying to go "through" the BRIDGE. Try unplugging it from power and your router, and connect a speaker instead. May need to temporarily move the speaker, but since this is a temporary test, hopefully it's not too much of an issue.

If connecting another speaker rectifies your issue, then I'd say the power supply is indeed going/gone bad on the BRIDGE. You could get a replacement power supply on, for instance, Amazon, if you so desired, or replace the BRIDGE with a BOOST, which has a newer design, and works a little bit better. At least a better wifi antenna, and better rejection of interference.
It isn't incompatible equipment. I've had this running on the same gear for years.

I'll ditch the bridge based on the two replies. Guess I have always had a bridge...don't remember why I even started with it years ago but now researching after these tips I see that I may not need it at all.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
It was needed years ago when you first invested in your system. Technology has advanced since then. Try the setup without the Bridge. See how it works out for you.
You don't "have" to have a BRIDGE anymore. You used to, which is why I had one. I updated to the BOOST a couple of years ago, due to the newer design.

I happen to be a big fan of using a BOOST, which makes the system "wired" or in "Boost mode", but probably because I don't have a speaker close enough to my router. Wiring a speaker to the router itself does the same thing, these days.
With these tips I am up and running again, and quickly. Removed the bridge totally and set it up running via my home wireless. Thanks for the guidance! My wife and I are such fans of music that it was really a bummer to go without even for only a few days.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Glad to hear you're up and running! Enjoy your system.