Answered

Cannot add speaker with new desktop controller app update


Since update 9.2, we can't add speakers from desktop controller app. Our employees can only use Sonos via ethernet because of our network policy/security. That means Sonos app does not work with WIFI. According to update 9.2 patch notes, Sonos removed 'add speakers' feature from desktop controller app which is really annoying regarding our business network/set up. Is there another way to add speakers from the desktop app ? Please bring this feature back to the desktop controller !

Best

Arnaud
icon

Best answer by Chris 23 November 2018, 03:01

You can direct connect to Sonosnet (vs. you office wifi) via an Android phone and make setup adjustments.

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can direct connect to Sonosnet (vs. you office wifi) via an Android phone and make setup adjustments.
Thanks Chris for the quick reply. I did not know about SonosNet. I was finally able to add the speaker back, using ethernet cable and dongle with an android phone. Not sure if it's the best place for feedback, but would like to see "add speaker" feature back to the Sonos desktop controller. Thanks again
I agree. Bring back this feature to the Desktop application! I don't understand the harm in having it there, plus it was already in place. What's the point in removing it?
I also agree with above comments re: removal of add speakers from desktop controller; I've just invested in a Sub to add to my Playbar setup, but since this change am unable to do so, as I don't possess a suitable mobile device. The advice I'm being given from Sonos amounts to: "go out and buy a mobile controller", which seems a shabby way to treat loyal customers - not impressed.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I also agree that the add speaker function should be brought back to the desktop app. The only reason I can imagine for removing it is some obscure marketing decision to force customers to use mobile devices. Why would that be? I will suggest that since SONOS is a premium system that most customers are people of some means and many of us are older (I'm 61), and LIKE using our computers. Screens are larger, easier to type on etc. etc. Makes no sense to force us to use a mobile app. SONOS TV and Digital ads feature 30 something couples in modern homes that obviously have disposable income so it's not like they are targeting 20 somethings who may not even have a laptop computer. Is there a SONOS moderator who can offer a sensible reason for this change. Anyone?
Hey I have the same issue with work and adding a speaker. Would someone mind bullet-pointing the sonosnet/android add-a-speaker workaround process for me? I'm going to need to borrow a coworker's android phone for this.
Depending on the USB port on the device (can be micro USB or USB Type C) purchase the appropriate Ethernet adapter. Plug it in, Connect via Ethernet, then launch the Sonos app.

USB micro:
https://www.amazon.com/Smays-Ethernet-compatible-Raspbian-Raspberry/dp/B00L32UUJK/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1546455519&sr=8-13&keywords=Ethernet+android

USB C:
https://www.amazon.com/Phone-Ethernet-Adapter-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B07CMVNC9M/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1546455794&sr=8-7&keywords=Ethernet+android
Why are you stripping out functionality from the desktop apps? You are hobbling the usability of your product to the point that it's becoming painful to try to work around.
Same problem here! My wife unplugged a working speaker and now I can't add it back to the system. I don't have a smart phone so my desk top is my only option. Sonos please put the add speaker option back.
Badge
Reading this I'm more and more conviced that there is a "cultural" issue at Sonos the way they consider customer they are much more concerned by their satisfaction of the way they want do than customer satisfaction
And this can become a very dangerous posititin if some competitor appears with a good product and a good service
Because I can see here a lot of different frustration apart mine
Sonos sucks here !
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@olibara. Your's is the 10th post in this thread. There are many other similar threads, yes, but it's hard to say that they represent a large portion of the customer base. Sonos even study the data to determine the likely impact on customers before making the change. As well, Sonos recently posted record profits over the holiday season.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/sonos-sold-close-to-0-5b-in-smart-speakers-during-holiday-quarter-posts-record-profit-1203130560/

You may ultimately be correct with your warning of doom and gloom, but the evidence isn't lining up with your prediction just yet.
melvimbe wrote:

@olibara. Your's is the 10th post in this thread. There are many other similar threads, yes, but it's hard to say that they represent a large portion of the customer base. Sonos even study the data to determine the likely impact on customers before making the change. As well, Sonos recently posted record profits over the holiday season.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/sonos-sold-close-to-0-5b-in-smart-speakers-during-holiday-quarter-posts-record-profit-1203130560/

You may ultimately be correct with your warning of doom and gloom, but the evidence isn't lining up with your prediction just yet.



And your point is?
That Sonos doesn't care about their customers?

My Sonos are now just some expensive speakers that I soon have to wire anyway (if that even works). I don't have a mobile phone with the min. requirements. The Connect I bought the other day, hoping that I could connect [sic] my receiver to the system, will have to go back to the store. It's useless for me now.
Badge
@bcJones
I totaly agree with you !
What Sonos did here is a shame
And appearently mostly to be able to control your location and personal data via your mobile Phone
This can be a legal case I think
bcjones wrote:


My Sonos are now just some expensive speakers that I soon have to wire anyway (if that even works). I don't have a mobile phone with the min. requirements. The Connect I bought the other day, hoping that I could connect [sic] my receiver to the system, will have to go back to the store. It's useless for me now.



Are you on an island alone? Surely there is someone who owns a mobile device within your sphere who could loan it to you for the 30 seconds it takes to add the device. Sorry, but I don't buy the "I don't have a mobile phone with the min. requirements" excuse.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
bcjones wrote:


And your point is?
That Sonos doesn't care about their customers?



No, that Sonos looked to see what the impact to customers was before they made the change and determined it was minimal.

Honestly, 'care' is a subjective term, and could be applied to anytime a company doesn't do exactly what a particular customer wants.

Amazon Alexa doesn't support Google Play? Amazon doesn't care about their customers!
Apple doesn't support any music service buy Apple? Apple doesn't care about their customers!
Google doesn't let Amazon products have youtube apps? Google doesn't care about their customers!
Badge
@melvimbe
Maybe it's time to react and say something against how your lovely GAFA is taken us as hostage and at minimum be conscious about what the game is and not accept anything blindly not all people are sheep !
Userlevel 5
Badge +20
jgatie wrote:

Surely there is someone who owns a mobile device within your sphere who could loan it to you for the 30 seconds it takes to add the device. Sorry, but I don't buy the "I don't have a mobile phone with the min. requirements" excuse.



You assume there is wi-fi. In many corporate environments that have wi-fi, users do not have access to wifi from devices that are not managed/approved. Wi-Fi is effectively now a requirement to add new Sonos devices to a wired network, which is beyond stupid imho.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
olibara wrote:

@melvimbe
Maybe it's time to react and say something against how your lovely GAFA is taken us as hostage and at minimum be conscious about what the game is and not accept anything blindly not all people are sheep !



My lovely GAFA? I'm aware that these companies are offering products and services in exchange for money and information. I completely avoid 2 of them, tolerate 1, and do alot of business with the 4th, for now. Nothing blind about it.

controlav wrote:


You assume there is wi-fi. In many corporate environments that have wi-fi, users do not have access to wifi from devices that are not managed/approved. Wi-Fi is effectively now a requirement to add new Sonos devices to a wired network, which is beyond stupid imho.



Pretty safe to assume that since bcjones stated he didn't have a phone with minimum requirements, and said nothing about lacking wifi or wanting to operate in a corporate environment.
Badge
melvimbe wrote:

Pretty safe to assume that since bcjones stated he didn't have a phone with minimum requirements, and said nothing about lacking wifi or wanting to operate in a corporate environment.



It just one more argument that shows SONOS decision have multiple negative Side effect and certainly stupid

So I assume that if as you said :
melvimbe wrote:

Sonos even study the data to determine the likely impact on customers before making the change. As well, Sonos recently posted record profits over the holiday season.


You were probably one of the samples from their panel that influenced their decisions.
But I wasn't one of them and it seems that many others are in my case
Using the argument of statistics to smoke reality and make arbitrary decisions is a scam
olibara wrote:


You were probably one of the samples from their panel that influenced their decisions.
But I wasn't one of them and it seems that many others are in my case
Using the argument of statistics to smoke reality and make arbitrary decisions is a scam



There is no "panel", the "sample" you speak of is all Sonos owners who have not blocked data collection. If you do not block data collection, Sonos knows exactly how often each controller type is used. So they effectively sample the vast majority of users, and therefore decisions based on them are in no way "arbitrary", they are based on hard numbers.
controlav wrote:



You assume there is wi-fi. In many corporate environments that have wi-fi, users do not have access to wifi from devices that are not managed/approved. Wi-Fi is effectively now a requirement to add new Sonos devices to a wired network, which is beyond stupid imho.



As melvimbe said. And WiFi is not a requirement, at least not one that cannot be solved by a $12 USB Ethernet adapter and an Android device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
olibara wrote:


It just one more argument that shows SONOS decision have multiple negative Side effect and certainly stupid



Absolutely has negative side effects. There was never any question about that. Whether or not it's stupid really depends on how it effects the overall bottom line. So far, doesn't look like it was a bad decision overall. As I stated earlier, perhaps doom and gloom will be the eventual result, but it's not looking that way.

olibara wrote:

So I assume that if as you said :

melvimbe wrote:

Sonos even study the data to determine the likely impact on customers before making the change. As well, Sonos recently posted record profits over the holiday season.


You were probably one of the samples from their panel that influenced their decisions.
But I wasn't one of them and it seems that many others are in my case
Using the argument of statistics to smoke reality and make arbitrary decisions is a scam



Using arguments based on bad data is a scam. Assuming that data is bad while having no clue how the data was collected...what's the word for that?

Look, I completely get the frustration of people who's environment they want to use Sonos in doesn't fit what Sonos supports. I just don't agree that it was an emotional, not business, decision on their part. Nor do I get the conclusion that Sonos will regret this decision when it's just not looking that way.
I am always amused by the 'Sonos is stupid' brigade. Please come back and complain that Sonos is stupid when you have built a multi-billion dollar global market leader in incredibly short time. Sonos took a decision that they believed was in the best long-term interests of the company, which is what every company should do. A few customers suffered collateral damage. Sonos may regret that, but not enough to change the decision. It isn't stupid, it's business.
I was very disappointed in the removal of the features from the desktop app. We own five high end inns and are launching a new SPA in 2020. We use SONOS in all locations. Our front desk crew and inn keepers control SONOS with IPads and Cell Phones and still run into trouble - especially during updates. I support all of these locations and installed the desktop app on a server or mini PC in each location specifically so i could remote in and run updates in advance of the Inns being used by our guests. We have over 40 SONOS devices plus the servers and mini PCs to manage just for SONOS. You just made my life a bit more more difficult. Luckily I work for a company with the resources to make a switch. I'm now looking at Savant, Control4, and Crestron for our applications instead. SONOS was only an OK system. It has some issues working in a corporate networks. Having remote access gave me a way to update the systems when the Inns had no guests. Updates are especially tough when you have more then 10 SONOS speakers in one location. I have to retry the update 10, 15, 20 times before all of the speakers grab the update. Some speakers just would not take an update so i would had to take it home, out of our network, and run the update there. don't know why. Unfortunately we have to change to a new system. I'm also looking at Dante and AVB enabled devices. I'm actually looking forward to it. Our application of SONOS is likely 1% of the market usage for the product so i don'r expect them to bother changing but that's okay.
Removing this possibility from desktop software its an idiotic idea... So you have to do it in your cellphone

Fantastic idea... Must have come from moron...

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings