Cannot add a large PLEX playlist into queue

• 27 December 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge
I tried to "shuffle all" on a PLEX playlist that's about 7,000 songs, but I get the "Unable to add songs to the queue" error. this occurs on PC and ipad. Smaller playlists work fine.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge
I emailed customer support; they were very helpful and quick to respond. Sonos says that they are aware of this issue and are working to improve the experience in future releases. They suggest that for now I add smaller portions of the PLEX playlist to the queue, so that I end up 2 or 3 separate playlists.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think this is an issue that has affected other services in the past as well, though the numbers seem to vary. Some have had issues with some services and playlists of over 500 songs. Others have run into issues with services and playlists of 1000 to 2000 songs.

Unfortunately, Plex doesn't seem to be doing anything with their Sonos integration at the moment (it's been months since a Plex employee has posted over in the Plex forum for Sonos)... so if Plex actually needs to change something on their end, it might take a while to be fixed.
There's a basic timeout at 15 seconds for any queue loading action. Sonos generally throws a 1002 error, though sometimes in the background it will continue to load the tracks, which then appear in the controller a bit later.

Depending on the streaming service's performance this timeout can cut in at a few thousand tracks. Even huge M3U imported playlists off a local drive can trigger the error.