Can you play music through play 5’s that are set up as rears in a surround sound setup with a beam

• 28 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi

ive set up a beam with 2 play 5’s as the rears in a surround sound set up in my living room.

but if I want to just play music, is there  a way to just use the play 5’s ?

thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @andyjc.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

You need to remove the surround speaker and create a separate room name for the Play:5 every time you're going to play music just for the play:5

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the quick reply Mark- I’ll give that a go 

Userlevel 2

So I removed the surrounds and set up a new room called lounge music with the 2 play 5’s.

When I try to now add surrounds to the beam room, it doesn’t give me the option of adding the play5’s.  it just gives me the option of the play 1’s from the bedrooms. 

any ideas ?

thanks 

So I removed the surrounds and set up a new room called lounge music with the 2 play 5’s.

When I try to now add surrounds to the beam room, it doesn’t give me the option of adding the play5’s.  it just gives me the option of the play 1’s from the bedrooms. 

any ideas ?

thanks 

You have to un(stereo)pair them first to add them back as HT surrounds.

andyjc,

When you have the Play:5’s bonded to your Beam as ‘surrounds’, are you aware that you can set them to “Full” for music playback, so the music plays out of the rear surrounds in (full) stereo, aswell as playing from the Beam? I ask that, because it wasn’t clear if you were aware of that ‘option’ in your initial post here.