Question

Can you attach a router to a Sonos speaker on a Boost Network Setup?

• 29 November 2016
  • 3 replies

My Speakers work fine throughout the house and even in the basement however i have a weak enough signal in the basement that my phone does not see the WIFI when my speaker can.

I read that on a "Boost" network setup, you can plug non-Sonos device into a speaker and it can run off the Sonos connection (like a printer or a PC). Could you use this same connection to create an extension to your network by attaching a router to a Sonos speaker on a Boost network setup?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can.
Could you use this same connection to create an extension to your network by attaching a router to a Sonos speaker on a Boost network setup?
Yes, but you wouldn't want the router to act as a router, otherwise it would split the network. You need it to be an access point. If you've not yet purchased anything then buy an access point.

If you need to re-purpose a router, some have an explicit 'bridge' or 'access point' mode. If not, you must disable the internal DHCP server and wire the secondary router via one of its LAN ports. You should also ensure that the router's internal IP address doesn't clash with the address range used by the main router's DHCP server.
Please also note that if the key issue is getting a signal on your phone, then just going over to a Boost setup may be sufficient IF your phone is Android. Android devices can connect to SonosNet, which operates when you have a Sonos component wired to your router. As every speaker acts as a repeater in a mesh structure, an Android device can effectively connect via a nearby speaker. This facility needs to be enabled in the Sonos app settings. If it's an Apple device, however, this option is not available.