Answered

Can't register Beam (wired or wireless)

• 25 November 2018
  • 6 replies

I have an existing Sonos Play:1 and Bridge. The Bridge is wired to Ethernet, Play:1 is wireless.

When setting up my new Beam, I am unable to add the speaker to the Sonos App. I tried both the wireless registration and the wired registration as well. In both configurations I see a flashing green light before beginning.

When I attempt the wired registration, as soon as I push the link button on the back of the Beam, I hear the chime and then the LED on top turns red for a few minutes. The app reports "Your Sonos product was not found". I can see in my home Router's control page that the wired Beam is receiving an IP address via DHCP.

My experience on the wireless registration is similar, although for wireless the Sonos app presents me with the MAC address of the Beam.

I've tried both wired and wireless multiple times and have power-cycled the Beam many times as well.

What else can I try here?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 26 November 2018, 01:54

Actually, since you already have another device plugged into the network there isn't as big of a need to test with another player. In your case, the Beam would act as a secondary Bridge or node for Sonos to connect to the network.

I'm not very familiar with the Ubiquiti Security Gateway (USG) and what it can effect in regards to UPnP traffic on the network. Perhaps some of our resident experts from the Community will be able to chime in? I know that if you were to contact our support team, they would likely ask if the USG could be removed from the equation giving Sonos a direct connection to the router (or whatever is giving out DHCP). This would simplify the network connection for Sonos and give us some direction on what (if possible) needs to change.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, friede. Thanks for the post and welcome to the Community. What you describe is normal procedure, up until the point where it says your device could not be found. Would you mind telling us a little more about your local network? What is your Bridge connected to? Is this a switch or the router directly? What happens if you replace the Bridge with the Play:1?

If it's appearing in the client table of your router, it leads me to think there is something on the network not allowing the handshake procedure to complete.
Thanks Keith-

The Bridge and the Beam at this moment are connected to an unmanaged Netgear 8 port gigabit switch. The switch is connected to a Ubiquiti Security Gateway. When on wireless, the AP is also a Ubiquiti.

How do I replace the Bridge with the Play:1. Do I need to just plug ethernet into the Play:1? Is there some additional needed setup in the controller app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Actually, since you already have another device plugged into the network there isn't as big of a need to test with another player. In your case, the Beam would act as a secondary Bridge or node for Sonos to connect to the network.

I'm not very familiar with the Ubiquiti Security Gateway (USG) and what it can effect in regards to UPnP traffic on the network. Perhaps some of our resident experts from the Community will be able to chime in? I know that if you were to contact our support team, they would likely ask if the USG could be removed from the equation giving Sonos a direct connection to the router (or whatever is giving out DHCP). This would simplify the network connection for Sonos and give us some direction on what (if possible) needs to change.
After a few more hours of playing around, I was finally able to get the Beam registered, but *only* when the Play:1 is cabled in.

It appears that my Bridge is either not being used or is not working....

Unfortunately, leaving the Play:1 cabled in is not a long term solution as it normally lives in a place where there is no Ethernet cable available.

How can I try to troubleshoot why the Play:1 has to be connected via Ethernet?

Do I have any other options for connectivity here?
If the Bridge appears to be faulty, it is probably the power supply. You can pick one up for short money from Amazon.
The LED on top of the Bridge is solid white. Other than that, is there any way I can check its function? Something in the app perhaps?