Answered

Can't play music with voice commands on Play 1 pair in sun room

• 4 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
I have Sonos speakers in the garage, office, living room, family room, and sun room. The all work with Alexa except for the Play 1 pair in the sun room. Suddenly, when I try to play music in the sun room I get the message from Alexa: "I didn't find anything in the sun room that can play music". I tried deleting the sun room speakers from Alexa and re-discovered them. I tried renaming the Sonos speakers in the sun room. I also made sure that Sonos is updated. Any ideas how to fix this?
icon

Best answer by zBernie123 5 March 2018, 03:35

zBernie123,

Turn off the speakers in the sun room and ensure they disappear from your Sonos Controller app list of rooms completely.

Remove the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App and remove all the Sonos speakers from the smart-home devices section.

Switch the sun room speakers back on... give them a few minutes to settle.

Open the Sonos App and ensure the Sun Room speakers have now reappeared ... you should not only see them in the assigned room but also in the “Settings/About my Sonos System” section

Once the speakers have returned correctly to the Sonos Controller App, reopen The Alexa App and add in the Sonos Skill and re-link your Sonos and Alexa accounts and finally rediscover your Alexa devices.

See if those few steps resolve your issue with the sun room devices.

I tried what you suggested and the problem persisted (See my previous reply). What I did to get it working again was delete the Play 1 pair named Sun Room from Alexa's device list. Then I renamed it "Man Cave" in the Sonos app. Then I rediscovered devices in Alexa, and low and behold, I can play music on Man Cave using Alexa. I kinda like the new name too!

Thanks for your help with this.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

zBernie123,

Turn off the speakers in the sun room and ensure they disappear from your Sonos Controller app list of rooms completely.

Remove the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App and remove all the Sonos speakers from the smart-home devices section.

Open the Sonos App and ensure the Sun Room speakers have now reappeared ... you should not only see them in the assigned room but also in the “Settings/About my Sonos System” section

Once the speakers have returned correctly to the Sonos Controller App, reopen The Alexa App and add in the Sonos Skill and re-link your Sonos and Alexa accounts and finally rediscover your Alexa devices.

Badge +1
zBernie123,

I went through all of the steps you suggested, and the Sun Room Play 1 pair is still not working using voice commands. In addition I tried rebooting my wifi router. I believe this issue (and one with my NAS and an external USB drive) cropped up after a storm caused several brief power outages, i.e., brown outs. All of he other rooms work with Alexa, not sure what's different about the Play 1's in the Sun Room. Of course, I spend a lot of time in the Sun Room. Why couldn't it be the Garage single Play 1 with the problem? 🙂
Badge +1
zBernie123,

I tried what you suggested and the problem persisted (See my previous reply). What I did to get it working again was delete the Play 1 pair named Sun Room from Alexa's device list. Then I renamed it "Man Cave" in the Sonos app. Then I rediscovered devices in Alexa, and low and behold, I can play music on Man Cave using Alexa. I kinda like the new name too!

Thanks for your help with this.
zBernie123,

First of all I’m glad to hear you have things working now.
When you have a moment, if you go into the Alexa App settings and go to History ... and look back through your voice commands you may find the reason why it wasn’t working originally.

For example instead of recognising your voice as saying “Sun Room” ... Alexa may have interpreted you saying “Son Room” or “Son's Room”

If so, there is a simple workaround for such poor interpretation/recognition by Alexa ... here’s how to fix it:

So if Alexa thought you were calling it “Son's Room” ...just as an example, you can create a Smart Home Group named “Son's Room” and then add your own “Sun Room” into that group ... then in the future Alexa will recognise your words because it will treat the group like your Sonos Room.

Anyhow I hope that helps you to later consider further options, if you ever get fed up of the Man Cave name.

All the best ...

Ken