Can't play music reliably.

• 17 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I have several problems: The music from the library skips regularly, some of my players keep on disappearing and reappearing from the app and the app says "cannot browse music" or "cannot play music". I don't have any device that could interfere, I have changed channels to 6 and 11 with no improvement.

We have 3 Play:1 systems and are getting very annoyed with all the problems we have.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @82ClaireH.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to help out by sharing some information and asking questions.

1. Since when did the issue started happening?
  2. Do we have the same behavior with other mobile controller?
  3. Was there any noticeable changes that happened prior it was still working and the moment it stopped working?
  4. Can we try to submit a diagnostic after 3-5 minutes after the issue re-occurred?
  5. Can we try to unplug all Sonos devices from power and then plug them back into power after 10-15 seconds (starting with the Sonos product near your router) and observe if the issue persists?
  6. Do we have the same behavior when we use other music services on the Sonos App? 
  7. Can we also try to submit a diagnostic at each try of different music source and mobile controller?

I would also like to ask if we can provide some details about your network to be able to understand your network layout.

1. Router make and model.
  2. Modem make and model.
  3. Wifi booster or extender make and model.
  4. Mesh system make and model.
  5. Secondary or tertiary router make and model.
  6. Other devices wired to the router.
  7. Network switch or hub make and model.
  8. Other devices wirelessly connected to the router.

The more information you provide, the more we can better understand what is going on to help you out.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. Here in the community, everybody can help you out.

Thanks,

Hello,

Thanks for your response.

Diagnostic number is:842592157.

We used to have lots of problems with a previous router but changing the wireless channel had solved the problem.

Since we’ve installed a new router (TalkTalk wifi hub), the problem came back.

I’ve again changed the channel (to 6 then to 11) but it hasn’t helped this time.

Last weekend I reset the router (off 20 min, which much improved wifi speeds) and it all worked very well during the week, while I spent the days working at the computer. As soon as the weekend started, problems came back as well. The computer is set to not go to sleep when plugged in, but we spend much less time on it.

The music library is on a microSD card in the computer.

The issues are:

• players disappear from system
  • song stops after a few second and skips to next one.
  • unable to browse music
  • impossible to clear queue
  • impossible to play a track (“not encoded correctly”, “the connection to ...[music library] was lost”)

Issues are both when using PC (windows10) or mobile phones (samsung, android)

I know turning the players on/off at the plug resolves the problem when a player is not detected, but surely that’s not how it should be.

We only have 1 wifi router (small 3 bedroom house), and we have 3 Play:1 players.

We have fibre with >20Mbps.

I think it is much better when playing radio (from sonos radio) than playing music from our music library stored on the SD card.

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

Claire

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @82ClaireH.

hanks for the update and immediate response and for submitting a diagnostic.

Based o the provided diagnostic, there are no other access points or router with the same Wifi name as the one your Sonos is connected to the disconnection issue with your computer and Sonos seems to be an issue with in the network as Sonos can only provide limited details on wireless routers or access points with in the area but not network switches which may also contribute to devices mis-communicating. From this point, I would recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. It is best to contact our technical support team so they can dig deeper and find out what would be the better step to take and what is causing the issue. I would also like to suggest submitting a diagnostic after 3-5 minutes of the issue happening so we can check if there are any wireless interference that might be causing this issue as well.

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted.

Thanks,