Answered

Can't link Sony TV Touchpad Remote

• 28 December 2015
  • 3 replies

I have a new Sony 4K TV attached to my Sonos Soundbar (+sub and two Play1s) that came with the usual remote and a Touchpad remote. Both remotes have a volume up and down rocker switch and both control the TV volume well (as evidences by the volume bar that appears at the bottom of the screen whenever I change the volume (wish I could get rid of that)). Soundbar is connected to TV via optical cable and all sound goes through Sonos. I've had no trouble syncing up the remotes for Sonos volume control from my Apple TV remote and standard Sony remote control but the Touchpad remote won't sync. When I try to sync it, I get a message from Sonos that this will erase all the other remotes. I eventually decided to go ahead and say OK, erase all the other remotes. I then tried syncing the Touchpad remote and when it says to press the up volume key, I do and nothing happens. The remote programming part of the Sonos app just sits there telling me to press the up volume key. If I exit that section of the remote app, all my other remotes still control the volume of the Sonos system. Clearly a problem with how the Touchpad remote sends volume up and down signals to the TV, but the Touchpad seems to be working with the TV itself, if I turn on the TV speakers. Weird. Not an important issue but just curious if anyone has noted this and if there is something I'm doing wrong.

Sandy
icon

Best answer by MikeV 28 December 2015, 19:12

It's possible that the touchpad remote is using radio frequency (RF) or Bluetooth communication with the TV rather than infrared (IR).

The Sonos Playbar will only recognize IR remote controls for volume adjustments. RF or Bluetooth remotes won't work with Sonos.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's possible that the touchpad remote is using radio frequency (RF) or Bluetooth communication with the TV rather than infrared (IR).

The Sonos Playbar will only recognize IR remote controls for volume adjustments. RF or Bluetooth remotes won't work with Sonos.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a reasonable explanation.
Hi. If the smart remote uses RF and the TV comes with an RF extender then it may be possible to use the smart remote with the Playbar. The instructions below are from an old thread and relate to SAMSUNG TVs but may give you some ideas. The Playbar will only support one remote at a time so this is only worth pursuing if you plan to use the smart remote pretty much all the time.

The PLAYBAR is able to accept and understand IR commands, which is why the Smart Remote from these Samsung TVs will not initially work with the PLAYBAR. We'll need the IR extender to assist with this.

For the first-time setup, make sure to point the Smart Remote at the IR extender when giving any commands.

1. Connect the IR extender that came with the TV.
2. Place the IR extender module in close proximity to the PLAYBAR. This will need to be a matter of inches away from the PLAYBAR itself.
3. In the Sonos controller application, select Settings > Room Settings > [Your PLAYBAR]
4. Select TV Setup and Control > Remote Control Setup
5. Follow the on screen instructions and use the Samsung Smart Remote to give the designated commands (Volume up and down, Mute).

It is very important to keep the IR extender within close proximity to the PLAYBAR at all times since it's needed for Sonos to understand the Smart Remote's commands.

This now brings us to the issue of the on-screen notifications that pop up when a command is given from the Smart Remote. The Smart Remote has been configured to work with the PLAYBAR at this point, but the TV still thinks that the Smart Remote is giving it volume commands. This results in the notification on screen that you're using remote speakers. To stop this message from popping up, please follow these steps:

1. Using your Smart Remote, navigate to Menu > System > Device Manager > Universal Remote Setup.
2. Press the Start button and add an HTS (Home Theater System).
3. Choose the optical output.
4. Choose Samsung as the company. As noted in posts above, different brands selected here also work with Sonos.
5. You'll now see a verification screen where the TV will try and test if it can power up the HTS. You can ignore this message and select Yes.
6. Finally, when watching TV, use the on-screen remote to switch to external speakers.

The Smart Remote will now be configured to control the PLAYBAR and the TV will be configured to stop responding to the Smart Remote's volume commands, eliminating the on-screen pop-up. The TV will still send Smart Remote volume commands to the PLAYBAR using the IR extender that was configured earlier.