Answered

Can't group more than 2 speakers

• 2 March 2017
  • 6 replies

I've got a 6 speaker system, all wired back to a switch, i.e. no wifi.

It all works fine except i'm unable to group more than 2 speakers together, pairs work fine but any more and only one speaker plays.

I've read that this can be caused by WIFI latency however not sure this is the case here, each speaker has a static IP (using DHCP reservations) and the ping time to each one is sub 1ms

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Andy B 21 March 2017, 20:45

Got it, thanks.

The datasheet shows the switch as having a few different multicast settings, can you disable IGMP snooping if it's currently enabled?

You mentioned that only one speaker will play when grouping three or more together. Is the speaker that continues to the play the group coordinator (the speaker all others were grouped to)?

Can you also break down the network topology for me a little more (include the make and model of each device)? Are there any hardware firewalls or are there any firewall settings enabled on the switch?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

May I recommend that the next time this happens, you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of the issue, which will help the folks from Sonos figure out what's going on?

There are some rather good network folks who read these boards frequently, too, and they may have a suggestion for you, but I'd recommend posting what kind of router/switch that you've got your speakers connected to. The more information they have, the better they'll be able to respond.
Thanks for that. I submitted the diagnostics and got a code of 7153340.

Everything is connected to a Juniper EX2200 switch on GigE ports. There are no errors reported by the switch on any interface.

Thanks again.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Thanks for that. I submitted the diagnostics and got a code of 7153340.

Everything is connected to a Juniper EX2200 switch on GigE ports. There are no errors reported by the switch on any interface.

Thanks again.

Hey ChilliMintLabs, thanks for passing along that information and diagnostic. In checking the specs for the EX2200 I would start by reviewing our guide in regards to spanning tree protocol (STP) as well a community post made by a fellow Sonos employee who covers the topic a little more in-depth.

Is the switch currently configured as an L3 or L2 switch?
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response, and the links.

I have tried changing the switch from it's default RSTP to the classic STP settings in the link, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I even tried switching STP off completely so it behaves like a bog standard unmanaged switch, again didn't help.

To answer your question it's doing pure L2.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Got it, thanks.

The datasheet shows the switch as having a few different multicast settings, can you disable IGMP snooping if it's currently enabled?

You mentioned that only one speaker will play when grouping three or more together. Is the speaker that continues to the play the group coordinator (the speaker all others were grouped to)?

Can you also break down the network topology for me a little more (include the make and model of each device)? Are there any hardware firewalls or are there any firewall settings enabled on the switch?
Hi Andy,

Cracked it! Looks like IGMP snooping was the key.

I disabled it and now all 6 speakers group fine.

Thanks a lot for your help!