Answered

Can't get Sonos Playbars to connect after power outage

• 17 January 2021
  • 8 replies

• Contributor II
  • 4 replies

Tried unplugging my speaker, then router, and plugging speaker back in after router rebooted, as suggested on this forum. Sonos app on phone stuck at ‘Searching for nearby products, make sure they’re powered on….’ and doesn’t see my Soundbars.

So frustrating as this happens every time I loose power.  Other devices seem to connect fine when power comes back on except for my Sonos products. 

Sound bar is not near my router so connecting directly via ethernet cable is not an option. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 26 February 2021, 11:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

It’s unfortunately possible that either the WiFi card has gone, or the ethernet card itself. And there is no way to be sure without wiring it directly to your to see if it then shows up, submitting a diagnostic, then calling in to Sonos. Can you either temporarily move the PLAYBAR from its location by the TV to closer to your router? Or possibly do what I’ve done in the past, and invest in a long Ethernet cable?

You’ve already done the more ‘normal’ troubleshooting steps, it seems like the more drastic, less ‘easy’ things should be tried.

Tried unplugging my speaker, then router, and plugging speaker back in after router rebooted, as suggested on this forum. Sonos app on phone stuck at ‘Searching for nearby products, make sure they’re powered on….’ and doesn’t see my Soundbars.

So frustrating as this happens every time I loose power.  Other devices seem to connect fine when power comes back on except for my Sonos products. 

Sound bar is not near my router so connecting directly via ethernet cable is not an option. 

Maybe power off the router and Sonos products. Then bring each one back online in this order:

• Router 
  • Wired devices
  • Wireless devices (one at a time and let them connect before powering on the next one)

If the above works, then to reduce the possibility of it happening again in the future, add all the IP addresses of your Sonos products to your routers DHCP Reservation Table.

Thank you for your responses.  I ordered some ethernet couplers on Amazon to make a longer cable that will connect directly to the router.  I will report back next week after they arrive and I have gone through the steps.

So, now I have the sound bar plugged directly into the router and the app is still stuck on ‘Searching for nearby products…..’  Wish I would have never invested in Sonos products.

So, now I have the sound bar plugged directly into the router and the app is still stuck on ‘Searching for nearby products…..’  Wish I would have never invested in Sonos products.

What have you tried, other than ‘searching for nearby products’? What router brand/model is it and what are the 2.4ghz band wifi standards in use - it needs to be compatible with 802.11b/g to actually setup your devices, so you may want to check that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

HI @Silk 

Are you still having this problem?

Multiple speakers being missing is far more likely to be something to do with your network than hardware failures - do you have multiple routers, a mesh system or WiFi boosters/extenders? Any of these can cause problems if not configured properly (apart from extenders/boosters - these are unsupported regardless of configuration).

If you have a mesh system as well as a router, search the internet for the mesh name and “bridge mode" and you’ll find instructions on how to stop the mesh from acting as a router and creating a second network. A secondary router needs to be told the same thing.

If you have boosters or extenders, please switch them off to see if it improves things.

If all else fails, or if you struggle with any of these steps, please get in touch with our technical support team who will be able to give you specific advice after obtaining diagnostics from your system.

Hi Corry.  Thanks for this information.  Sonos was able to get me back up and running so I’m good now.  I will keep this bookmarked for future reference.  Much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Corry.  Thanks for this information.  Sonos was able to get me back up and running so I’m good now.  I will keep this bookmarked for future reference.  Much appreciated.

Glad to help!