Answered

Can't get Plex to work on Sonos

• 21 October 2019
  • 7 replies

I have installed Plex on a Synology 218+. I have a large library of music files that were created using iTunes. All Artists/Album in nested folders. Plex tested and working on a Mac. Plex app in iPad can also “see” library and play on that device as well.

I have also added Plex in Sonos App  (v. 10.4.2)

In Sonos app, I select Browse music  → Other Sources. Plex Music Folder does not show up. So I cannot play personal music library on our Sonos. Have been working on this for hours. Very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by amun 21 October 2019, 16:07

No it doesn’t. But thanks. I’m curious though, has anyone got Plex to work on their Sonos? 

Well, I did have it working at one stage, but it was so poor that I removed it. The Sonos version is nothing like the main version, being limited in the way that it presents music - particularly if you have a mix of classical and contemporary music. Frankly, it was a mess. As I understand it, this is down to Plex,  not Sonos, and there seems no impetus from Plex to improve the situation.

Is the reason that you want to use Plex down to the library size? If so, it might be worth looking at casting, instead. I run a media server on my Synology, from which I can cast either to a Chromecast Audio plugged in to the Play 5, or direct to the Sonos devices themselves. Seems much more capable than the Plex approach, as it supports a folders view.

View original

7 replies

Perhaps see if this Plex Support article may help you.

Perhaps see if this Plex Support article may help you.

No it doesn’t. But thanks. I’m curious though, has anyone got Plex to work on their Sonos? I see a lot of questions on this forum of those who are having similar problems and no resolutions seem available. Maybe somewhere along the line it just stopped working and no one from Sonos or Plex seems to care.

No it doesn’t. But thanks. I’m curious though, has anyone got Plex to work on their Sonos? 

Well, I did have it working at one stage, but it was so poor that I removed it. The Sonos version is nothing like the main version, being limited in the way that it presents music - particularly if you have a mix of classical and contemporary music. Frankly, it was a mess. As I understand it, this is down to Plex,  not Sonos, and there seems no impetus from Plex to improve the situation.

Is the reason that you want to use Plex down to the library size? If so, it might be worth looking at casting, instead. I run a media server on my Synology, from which I can cast either to a Chromecast Audio plugged in to the Play 5, or direct to the Sonos devices themselves. Seems much more capable than the Plex approach, as it supports a folders view.

Thanks, amun. I do have a fairly large music library. About 700 artists and I don’t know how many albums in total. For years I have used Logitech Media Server on a MacMini, streaming to a Rasberry Pi connected to my stereo. But my wife likes the simplicity of Sonos. I made the move to a Synology NAS specifically to be able to listen to my music through our Sonos devices. Sonos advertises the Plex software for just this purpose. But it just doesn’t work, as far as I can tell. 

Logitech Media Server works great on the NAS by the way.   I have copied two separate music libraries over to the NAS, one specifically for Logitech Media Server and the other for Plex. As I have already said, the standalone Plex app has no problem “seeing” and playing the Plex library, but only on the iPad. I could spring for the “premium” service, I suppose, and play my music to the Sonos through the Plex app, but I like this “casting” option much better. Thanks for suggesting it. I’ll post later when I get it up and running. Which media server are you running?

ghulse,

If your music library is below the 65,000 track limit that’s  currently supported by a Sonos library and your NAS supports the SMB v1 protocol, you could just add the library to the Sonos App direct, as explained in this document and not bother with any other 3rd party software…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257

Which media server are you running?

It’s by Synology, and is just called ‘Media Server’. I use an android app called ‘Hifi Cast’ to do the casting side of things.

As Ken says, if you’re not exceeding the Sonos limits, then you can index the NAS directly and use the Sonos software. This is my usual approach on the LG NAS, as it supports SMB1 and is therefore ‘sacrificial’.  I have to move out less used music, though, as my full library is over the limit.

The casting approach, of course, works fine with SMB 2 and 3, so is less of a security risk.

Well, Plex works now. I deleted the software and reinstalled it, then re-added my music. Curiously the media folder Plex created was not initially available until I changed the permissions. Perhaps it was a permissions issue all along. But it works fine now. I can play my music through our Sonos devices. I would say it works quite well.

I did briefly try to index the NAS directly, but it stopped indexing when it got into the Ds. So most of my music was still unavailable, despite being well under the Sonos 65,000 limit. Some sort of glitch. I may try again at some point.

But anyway thanks for everyone’s help.