Question

Can't get 5.1?

• 23 January 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 49 replies
I bought the Sonos Playbar, Sub and 2 x Sonos 1, it sounds fantastic playing music but I can't get my Sony KDL 55HX853 to send a 5.1 signal. I have turned off the tv speakers and can only chose Stereo 'A' or 'B' and A & B kill the rear speakers all together.
I've read a number of posts and looked online, it appears that the TV is capable of 5.1 but I can't see how?
I've connected the TV to the Sub via the optical cable and it all works but only stereo?
What have I missed?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5
So i plugged my sky box directly in to my Sonos and it works, I've emailed Sony to ask if my TV can support 5.1 and they said yes, i've asked how and no response!!
Would it be likely that the TV only projects 5.1 from the built-it freeview box?
I also use a ZGemma box so I need it to work via the TV

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Go to the TV sound settings;
Select Digital Audio Out
If PCM is set then change it (if Bitstream is available try that, otherwise try auto).

Select some 5.1 content and check if that works.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
I've been told I can only get 5.1 from the built-in free view and not from an external source?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
This suggests your TV can pass through 5.1 if the settings I mentioned earlier are in play;
https://community.sony.com/t5/Television-General/Can-the-Sony-KDL-55HX850-passes-5-1-through-the-Optical-Out-to/td-p/125557
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
It just doesn't say how! I've tried and tried
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Did you specifically go into the "Digital Audio Out" settings and check what options were available?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
In settings select sound, HDMI/DVI should be set to auto as should audio out.