Can't Control Sonos From Spotify (working previously)

• 2 January 2017
  • 36 replies

I had Spotify & Sonos working together where I could use the Spotify App to play on my Sonos 1 directly. But now that has gone away, and I can't get it working again.

● I don’t see my Sonos speaker listed in the Spotify app anymore under DEVICES AVAILABLE.
● The speaker is turned on.
● I went to the Sonos app on my PC: Selected Manage > Settings > Advanced > Music Sources > ... but "Control Sonos from Spotify" is not listed as an option anymore
● Everything is fine with my Spotify account within Sonos (I can play from Spotify to my Sonos speaker within the Sonos app)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

I seem to have the same problem...
Badge
Me too - it worked a couple of weeks ago, but not now. If I go into Spotify on my PC, and click on "Devices Available", I can still see my Sonos devices. But if I click on one of them, nothing happens. The good news is that if I go into Sonos, I can still choose Spotify as a music source.

Diagnostics number 6960988
Badge
Anybody there? Still a problem for me, and others apparently.
Badge
Me too. They don't seem to care. Attitude is it's not a Sonos problem..
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Please try rebooting your Sonos speakers by removing them from power for ten seconds. Once back online see if you can select the from within the Spotify app. If that doesn't work, please send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Hi,

I have 3 Sonos speakers (2xPLAY:1 & 1xPLAY:3) and none of them show up in Spotify under available devices when using the desktop app.

I turned all speakers off, waited a minute and turned them all back on, I still don't see any speakers in Spotify.

All three speakers, and groups when grouped, show up in the Android mobile app, but none on a wired Windows 10 Desktop PC, or a wireless Windows 10 Laptop.

I have submitted a diagnostic report: 7057644
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

I have 3 Sonos speakers (2xPLAY:1 & 1xPLAY:3) and none of them show up in Spotify under available devices when using the desktop app.

I turned all speakers off, waited a minute and turned them all back on, I still don't see any speakers in Spotify.

All three speakers, and groups when grouped, show up in the Android mobile app, but none on a wired Windows 10 Desktop PC, or a wireless Windows 10 Laptop.

I have submitted a diagnostic report: 7057644

It would be best to work with our phone team on this issue. Please give us a call and reference case number: 170201-002513. You can find our phone number here.
Looking for help with Spotify app integration. We had it working for a while... Confirmation #7126148
I also can no longer connect my speakers through spotify connect, though it used to work fine. They show up in available devices but when I tap them nothing happens. I've updated the sonos & spotify apps, restarted my phone & speakers to no avail.

Being able to connect directly from spotify was the one saving grace of these speakers, as I hate the sonos app since it's nearly useless. All I really want is to connect directly to my speakers via bluetooth to use any phone app I have, but since this is impossible spotify was the next best thing. If this problem cannot be addressed it will be time to switch to another brand of speakers.

Tried calling the customer service # listed on the website. It does not work.
Hiya's

Using a boost, sonos playbar with sub and sonos play 5. Had same issue.

Turned off all speakers + boost and shut down android control app and pc control app + spotify. Waited 10 seconds. Turned on boost then speakers. Then ran controller app.

The option to Control Sonos from Spotify - Using the Sonos app on PC: Select Manage > Settings > Advanced > Music Sources > Control Sonos from Spotify and follow the on-screen prompts. is still not available...

However:

The spotify app on both pc and android phone are detecting the devices again.

Seems turning off and on in some cases can work! 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
@livinghomes Hi, thank you for the diagnostic. It appears the Sonos players were rebooted shortly before the diagnostic. I would also recommend rebooting the router to ensure that the connection information for the players is up to date.

You may also want to refer to our FAQ page for controlling Sonos from Spotify and ensure that your Sonos products are linked to your account.

@MiaBea22 Hello, thank you for reaching out. Before we begin troubleshooting Spotify Connect I would like to gather more information via submitting a diagnostic.
I have the same problem. This used to work. Had a HW failure on my phone, so had to replace it. May or may not be related, but it worked before that, but doesn't now. I've tried reinstalling and reauthorizing my Spotify app. No joy. My Sonos devices all show up as available in the Spotify app, but when I try to select one, it says "connecting..." for about 10 seconds, but nothing happens. Submitted diagnostics (7279230)
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi All,

While you are waiting on a Sonos rep to pull your report and respond this will not hurt anything.

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Rebooting the router may correct this temporarily, but it actually exacerbates the problem because as soon as another IP lease expires, it starts handing out duplicates again. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Also,

Make sure if you have a hard wired Sonos product to your router that Sonos and your router or on different channels

SonosNet

And that product is at least a few feet away from the router. Keep any other wireless devices as far away as you can.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I have the same problem. This used to work. Had a HW failure on my phone, so had to replace it. May or may not be related, but it worked before that, but doesn't now. I've tried reinstalling and reauthorizing my Spotify app. No joy. My Sonos devices all show up as available in the Spotify app, but when I try to select one, it says "connecting..." for about 10 seconds, but nothing happens. Submitted diagnostics (7279230)

Hey dandehaan - I took a look at the diagnostic and didn't see any errors reported from Spotify. At the time you experienced this issue were there any tracks playing on Spotify? If the Spotify queue is empty the behavior from the Spotify app displaying Connecting... and then timing out is expected. Please reply back here with a new diagnostic number right after having issues connecting via the Spotify app.
I have the same problem. Worked a couple of months ago. It suddenly sopped to work.
Troubleshooting:
- Tried to connect from Spotify app on different devices (PC, iPhone and iPad)
- Rebooted my modem
- Rebooted my Sonos device
- Spotify connect works between my devices but not to Sonos

Diagnistic: 7464780
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi JWettis, welcome to the community. Your diagnostic actually shows an open connection to the Spotify cloud and not really any problems with the system in general. I suspect this was just a temporary issue at either our cloud or Spotify's. We were a bit slow to pick up this post so it may all be resolved by now. Please reply here if if the issue is still ongoing for you.
Hello,

Im a recent owner of a PLAY:1. I have been trying to connect my sonos to spotify but I have been failing miserably.
Sonos shows up at devices availabe at spotify but cant create a connection.
Can anyone please suggest me what should I do?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello,

Im a recent owner of a PLAY:1. I have been trying to connect my sonos to spotify but I have been failing miserably.
Sonos shows up at devices availabe at spotify but cant create a connection.
Can anyone please suggest me what should I do?

Hi azhad, sorry for the delay in our reply. We'd like a little more information about your Sonos system. Would you mind submitting a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number?
Here's an article about it: How to submit a diagnostic
Hi, I have the same problem, nothing worked.
Diagnostic confirmation number: 7690818
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi, I have the same problem, nothing worked.
Diagnostic confirmation number: 7690818

Thanks for the diagnostic. Looks like Spotify has not been added to your Sonos system. As a test try adding Spotify to Sonos following these steps and let us know if the Spotify service encounters a similar issue using the Sonos app: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2768
Issue: Spotify loses control of Sonos Playbar.

Details: Upon original set-up, Spotify worked beautifully and was able to control (play, skip songs, pause, etc.) the Playbar. As of two days ago (roughly 3 weeks from original set-up), I can start a song/playlist from Spotify but can not control the music, i.e. cannot skip tracks, pause, or switch song in Spotify. The only way to stop music or change track is to then open Sonos App and pause music, skip tracks, etc.

Help: would be fantastic! Being able to control the Playbar from Spotify is perhaps the most important feature to me, if that capability is unavailable I need to consider other options.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have you tried removing and re-adding spotify to the Sonos app. Also are you on the WIFI network on your device or mobile network. Spotify control of Sonos only works for me when I am on my home wi-fi.
I do not remember adding Spotify to the Sonos app in the first place when all was working properly. However, I did add Spotify to the Sonos app and it briefly fixed the issue! However, not more than 8 hours later, the problem remains.

This is when I am on my home WiFi network.

Bockersjv, you are able to control your Sonos directly from your Spotify app, correct? For example, it will allow you to continually change songs, pause, play, etc. directly from Spotify app, correct?

Shouldn't this be a basic feature? I really hope it's me that's the issue and not the Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yep Spotify works faultlessly from within Sonos or Using the Spotify app to play on Sonos
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
ACC - works perfectly for me also. I suggest you contact Sonos support