Can’t control Beam volume when using HDMI Switch with audio extraction

• 26 June 2021
  • 4 replies

I recently purchased an HDMI Switch with audio extraction to try to fix the audio delay issue between the Sonos Beam and the LG OLED C7 TV. The switch I purchased was the JTECH-SWE31 which supports ARC.

When I hooked everything up today, the audio and visual worked fine. However, I can’t control the Sonos Beam’s volume with the LG remote anymore. I have ARC enabled on the switch and the TV (LG Simplink) as well. The new HDMI cable I purchased supports up to 18 Gbps.

My setup currently looks like this:

Switch HDMI In 1: Xbox One X

Switch output: TV HDMI In 2 (ARC)

Switch optical out: Sonos Beam via optical to HDMI adapter

Two things I noticed:

1. In the Sonos app when I click “TV Setup”, it says “HDMI ARC not detected. Make sure the HDMI cable is connected to the ARC port and your TV is on”.
  2. if I turn ARC off on the HDMI Switch, the TV output switches back to the TV speakers.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this issue? Really appreciate any responses here.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

From the JTECH manual: “...extract the audio signal from an ARC compatible TV and sends it to an external audio device such as a soundbar or AV receiver through the SPDIF output port...”

You’ll need to use the optical adapter to BEAM, then train BEAM and the LG or cable box remotes to send IR volume commands to BEAM.

You’ll need to use the optical adapter to BEAM, then train BEAM and the LG or cable box remotes to send IR volume commands to BEAM.

Do you mind explaining the second part of this more? Currently I have HDMI Out (ARC) on the HDMI Switch connected to the Sonos Beam via the optical to HDMI adapter. It sounds like that part is correct, right?

By training do you mean the “Remote Control Setup” option in the Sonos app? I remember trying that and I wasn’t able to get the Beam to detect anything from the LG remote, but let me give that another try later today.

I don’t know if your LG TV remote supports IR commands. Indicate to the TV that you want to control an A/V system with your LG remote. When asked for a model number of the A/V unit, pick an arbitrary model, then train BEAM. You can probably train your cable box remote for the same A/V model.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The possibility to control the volume of your Beam is an HDMI-ARC feature (through the HDMI-CEC protocol). Since you've replaced the direct HDMI-ARC connection by an optical connection (that does not have volume control capabilities) you have to find another way to control the volume on your Beam.