Question

Can’t connect via wifi

No changes has been made to WiFi and all 3 devices has stopped working on WiFi. I have rebooted and tried to wire them manually and set WiFi settings but my controller app won’t accept the WiFi password.

10 replies

No changes has been made to WiFi and all 3 devices has stopped working on WiFi. I have rebooted and tried to wire them manually and set WiFi settings but my controller app won’t accept the WiFi password.
What device and operating system is your Sonos controller using?
Are any devices cabled to your router?
Is it a central router or a wireless mesh system, like velop or orbi etc?
Are you using any wifi extenders, repeaters or powerline adapters?
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi Fingefisk

I've ran across this before unrelated to Sonos; but just as a complete Wi-Fi fail. The client could not enter the Wi-Fi credentials without being rejected.

The solution was to unplug the modem and router for about 30 seconds. Also, make sure that the Sonos App and the OS of your device is up to date. I might also add that the problem was related to the ISP provided hardware (i.e. router and/or modem).

Let us know the outcome. Cheers!
Ive had this setup for over a year without changing anything. It has always been running on wi-fi. When i connect My Sonos play:3 with wire that works, But as Soon as i unplug/try to set up wifi(via Sonos controller) it stops working/Cant connect. I am running Sonos controller on iOS as Always. I have tried unpluggning everything and starting with one wired etc. Nothing Works, as stated before i havent changed anything. I have power line adapter connected but that is just for one of the speakers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi Fingefisk

Thanks for the additional info. Did your Sonos cease to connect over Wi-Fi before or after you wired your Play 3?
What device and operating system is your Sonos controller using?
Are any devices cabled to your router?
Is it a central router or a wireless mesh system, like velop or orbi etc?
Are you using any wifi extenders, repeaters or powerline adapters?
Ive had this setup for over a year without changing anything. It has always been running on wi-fi. When i connect My Sonos play:3 with wire that works, But as Soon as i unplug/try to set up wifi(via Sonos controller) it stops working/Cant connect. I am running Sonos controller on iOS as Always. I have tried unpluggning everything and starting with one wired etc. Nothing Works, as stated before i havent changed anything. I have power line adapter connected but that is just for one of the speakers.
Hi Fingefisk

Thanks for the additional info. Did your Sonos cease to connect over Wi-Fi before or after you wired your Play 3?
that happend before I connected it with a cable. I only tried that to be able to access the WiFi configuration in the controller.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
OK. You've told us that nothing has changed with your Wi-Fi. The power line adapter has always been part of your set as well, correct?

Therefore at your word (1) nothing was changed, added or taken away from your system. (2) The Wi-Fi just quit evidently due to no outside interference.

Then there's one more possibility...your router may require a firmware update. Try accessing your routers admin page to see if an update is available.
OK. You've told us that nothing has changed with your Wi-Fi. The power line adapter has always been part of your set as well, correct?

Therefore at your word (1) nothing was changed, added or taken away from your system. (2) The Wi-Fi just quit evidently due to no outside interference.

Then there's one more possibility...your router may require a firmware update. Try accessing your routers admin page to see if an update is available.
Hi, yes that’s correct (1,2). I’ve updated my firmware without success. Still the same issues. Sonos plays wired but I can’t connect to them via WiFi.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
OK. Here’s my last suggestion. If it doesn’t resolve your issue then I suggest you submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and then call Sonos Tech Suuport.

Let’s try this in 4 steps. We’re doing this to avoid a Factory Reset of your speakers. Although Sonos Tech Support may suggest it.

In the first 2 of 4 steps we are going to remove the Wi-Fi credentials form your iOS or Android device and setup Wi-Fi again. In iOS go to:

1. Settings > Wi-Fi > select your network > Forget This Network.
2. Next go to > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Unfortunately, I can’t advise you on doing the same with Android. You’ll have to research those steps yourself.

Now for the next 2 steps in Sonos we’re first going to:

3. Set your system to Wired mode...then
4. Return it to Wireless; as you prefer.

Click the link below, read everything carefully and follow the instructions verbatim.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

I hope this works. If not…well, you know what to do. Good luck.

Cheers!
Fingefisk,

If I can just add just one or two small points to AjTrek1’s advice and that is before you start, make sure that your main router WiFi network is the only wifi running in your household. If the powerline adapters have their own built in WiFi, then switch those off, temporarily. Same thing if you have any other wifi access points too. Then setup things as AjTrek1 describes, ensuring your Sonos controller is attached to the same (main) WiFi signal and not a guest network etc.

When you later bring your access points back online, if they have built in WiFi, which you need to use, ensure they are on the same WiFi channel as your main router, otherwise that will present you with problems. If you do not use their WiFi, then I would definitely switch off the 2.4ghz band on the powerline adapters and consider cabling to those adapters instead.

Hope that additional info assists.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings