Answered

Can't connect to Sonos Play:1 with wifi, but ethernet ok

Badge
I recently found my Sonos Play:1 won't connect to my system over wifi. I've tried the usual tricks (speaker power cycle, router power cycle). I've tried to reinstall the speaker but it isn't recognised (no chime).

My other wifi connected speaker (Play:3) is fine over the wifi. If I connect the Play:1 via wired ethernet it works (but nothing else appears...weird).

Can anyone help?
icon

Best answer by Stoic Facade 17 June 2018, 03:25

Ok, this was fixed by Sonos Customer Care. Their comments are pasted below:

Taking a look at the diagnostic reports submitted from your system we can see that your Play:1 has different wireless information loaded into it compared to your other two players. The Play:1 looks to be trying to connect to a WiFi network being broadcast by a wireless extender.

If your Kitchen Connect is permanently wired to your router the best step would be to factory reset that Play:1 to clear out the conflicting wireless information and then re-add it the system. The steps to factory reset the Play:1 can be located here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096. Once reset try adding the Play:1 back to your system.

Provided that works as expected you'll also want to remove the WiFi information from your other two units as it is not needed. You can find those steps here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3488

I don't why a network conflict arose, given that I haven't chnaged anything in recent months. But I ditched the wifi setup since I am using my Connect in a Boost setup. Factory reset on the Play:1 and all is well. The case is closed.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Connect it over Ethernet, let it sit for 10 minutes and submit a diagnostic. Call it in (faster) or post it here and Sonos will get back to you with a fix.
Badge
Thanks Stanley_4, done. The diagnostic is 1099847226. Play:1 connected via ethernet (other devices didn't appear for some reason).
Badge
Thanks Stanley_4, done. The diagnostic is 1099847226. Play:1 connected via ethernet (other devices didn't appear for some reason). By the way, I unplugged the Connect from the ethernet and plugged that cable into the Play:1. If I use two cables (one for Connect, one for Play:1, then all devices are present).
Badge
Ok, this was fixed by Sonos Customer Care. Their comments are pasted below:

Taking a look at the diagnostic reports submitted from your system we can see that your Play:1 has different wireless information loaded into it compared to your other two players. The Play:1 looks to be trying to connect to a WiFi network being broadcast by a wireless extender.

If your Kitchen Connect is permanently wired to your router the best step would be to factory reset that Play:1 to clear out the conflicting wireless information and then re-add it the system. The steps to factory reset the Play:1 can be located here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096. Once reset try adding the Play:1 back to your system.

Provided that works as expected you'll also want to remove the WiFi information from your other two units as it is not needed. You can find those steps here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3488

I don't why a network conflict arose, given that I haven't chnaged anything in recent months. But I ditched the wifi setup since I am using my Connect in a Boost setup. Factory reset on the Play:1 and all is well. The case is closed.
My confirmation# is 684702809 for the diagnostics. I simply cannot get to access the Sonos play 1 over wifi. Please help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My confirmation# is 684702809 for the diagnostics. I simply cannot get to access the Sonos play 1 over wifi. Please help.

Hi there,

There are a ton of wireless networks in close range to your system. Your speaker is likely having a hard time connecting due to wireless interference. It may help to put your home network on channel 6, as it seems to be the least crowded in your area. Though, with this many signals, keeping Sonos in the BOOST configuration may be best. If you'd prefer to have your speaker wireless, you might consider picking up a BOOST to wire into your router.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings