Answered

Can't add PLAY 1 as right surround

• 10 October 2020
  • 12 replies

Badge +1

My right play1 speaker is not being recognized for surround sound setup. I have a playbar, sub, and (2) Play1 speakers. I can set them up individually, and as a paired stereo set. But when trying to add as surround - the right speaker isn’t being recognized. 
the only time I got it to work as surround was when I had a wired connection with the Sonos boost. When I unplugged and moved back to its location - same problems as noted above. Looking for some advice or help please 

Diagnostic # 88499131

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 October 2020, 08:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Sonos in Texas.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

That's odd your not able to complete the setup on setting your play:1 as surround system.

Can you try this after you hardwire your device to the boost Go to Settings » System » Network » Wireless Setup.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

While there’s no logical reason I can explain, I’d be awfully tempted to reboot the router. Although I would think the IP address between being a standalone speaker and a bonded speaker shouldn’t be different….but it seems like there is something odd there. 

Badge +1

When play:1 is wired - it’s recognized and connects to surround automatically.

Reset network - wireless setup. No issues. (both with Play:1 wired to boost & not wired to boost)

as soon as I disconnect from boost - Play:1 no longer recognized. When try to fix surround under system. Notification that I need 2 compatible speakers. 

Badge +1

Reset modem/router as well - unfortunately - still not being recognized. 

Directly wiring a surround speaker is unlikely to be a lot of help, it is trying to connect wirelessly to a 5Ghz signal being generated by the PLAYBAR. I’d be looking for  wifi interference in the 5Ghz range.

I would also consider a full network refresh, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting the router again. Once the router comes back up, plug back in all Sonos devices, and try adding that speaker again as a surround. 

However, if that doesn’t work, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

Badge +1

Ok - I’ll try that but I did submit a diagnostic - the number is in my original post 

Good point. I wonder if @Mark P looked at it.

Badge +1

I just have hit something - this is not unanswered. Am I able to change this back to question ? 

man - nothings going right !!

Badge +1

Hi @Sonos in Texas.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

That's odd your not able to complete the setup on setting your play:1 as surround system.

Can you try this after you hardwire your device to the boost Go to Settings » System » Network » Wireless Setup.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

The response below is not the answer - can we change that ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Sonos in Texas.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

We just want to check if you manage to set your play:1 as a surround?

I’ve checked the 1st diag and their nothing there that can cause your Play:1 not to work properly in surround.

So if you could send another up-to-date diagnostic report that would be very helpful. 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge +1

Hi @Sonos in Texas.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

We just want to check if you manage to set your play:1 as a surround?

I’ve checked the 1st diag and their nothing there that can cause your Play:1 not to work properly in surround.

So if you could send another up-to-date diagnostic report that would be very helpful. 

Thank you - I ended up purchasing another One (gen 2) Speaker. I already had one in another room, so I used those as my new surround set

I moved the (2) older play:1 to the kitchen - where I hard wired the play:1 that was giving me trouble, to the boost unit. I was then able to get those setup as a stereo pair. Sounds great when all combined !

thanks for the follow up. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Mark P.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community and giving us some feedback about the setup you did.

Cheers.