Answered

Can't access my music library

Badge

Hi, i have put all of my music onto an external hard drive and connected it to my talk talk router via usb, when i log into the router the hard driceve is confirmed as connected however when i try to setup music library \\192.168.1.1\buffalo_hd\music it says the there is no share (buffalo) on computer 192.168.1.1, please help…

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Belly M 16 March 2020, 19:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You need to enable SMBv1 on your router as that is the only version of the protocol that Sonos support.

Buffalo have a KB about changing the SMB version here, though it also details how to enable v1 on Windows which is not recommended, but might be temporarily required if you are setting this up from a PC:

https://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/windows-10-cannot-access-shares-on-nas

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hang on a sec, ignore my link above as I assumed “buffalo hd” was a router, but its a NAS by the looks of it. Check your router docs for switching SMB versions, if problems persist tell us exactly what router you are using.

Badge +20

The IP address 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 is usually used for the router.

your share “might” be \\buffalo_hd\music

Badge

Thanks for getting back, the IP address is the router (sonos refer to it as computer) the buffalo ministation is an external hd and is there when I log into router and described as BUFFALO-04113537, I've tried \\192.168.1.1\BUFFALO-04113537\music but the message I keep getting is that there is no share buffalo etc on the computer 192.168.1.1

Badge +20

Ok… an external USB Buffalo drive attached to your Talk Talk router…

have a look at the routers instructions for sharing a USB drive. Presume that your music is in a folder / directory called Music?

you may want to chsnge the name of the drive to be shorter such as “Buffalo” you can do this when its plugged in to a PC / Mac.

Badge

Ok I'm going to start again because there is a lot more that I've omitted. My main router is vm3 hub with no usb port, I have used an older router (talk talk) which does have a usb port, I have turned the older router into an access point via ethernet and connected the external hard drive, the main router has a different IP address to the older router, it works fine as an access point and I can log into both routers, the main router shows several devices inc sonos connected via ethernet although it actually isn't, the older router also shows the devices connected via wifi and shows the buffalo hd connected

Badge +20

Whats the ip of the main router and the ip of the older talktalk one?

Badge

Main router is 192.168 0.1 the older router I have now changed in order to configure as access point, same ssid same password but have made the ip static and assigned 192.168.0.11

Badge

When I try the talk talk router ip sonos recognises but doesn't recognise a share, if I try the ip from main router message is that it refuses to connect to sonos prod

Badge +20

So if your USB hard drive is connected to the old router the path would be...

\\192.168.0.11\buffalo_hd\music

Badge

Sonos

Badge

So if your USB hard drive is connected to the old router the path would be...

\\192.168.0.11\buffalo_hd\music

Yep tried that, but message says no share (buffalo) on computer 192.168.0.11

Badge +20

You need to dig out the instructions for the talktalkrouter and have a read.

using a computer you can browse your local network and see if there are any shares on the talktalk router.

really depends on what the drive is shared as, looking back it might be

\\192.168.0.11\BUFFALO-04113537\music

Badge

Ok I'll have a look although I have logged into the router and enabled the share options including samba, I'll keep trying, thanks for your input

Note that there are versions of Samba, Sonos currently uses only version 1, and not any of the later versions, as controlav mentioned in his initial response. 

Badge

Ok so if I disable it would that work??

Would you please define ‘it’?

If you mean Samba v1, then no, Sonos will no longer be able to reach your music library on your Buffalo Station NAS.

This has happened before. I can access streaming stations however I get message ‘cannot connect to//DESKTOP-PC/Music because the server cannot be found’ ( whenever I want to play ‘my music’ - I get all grey boxes. Suggestions please

Is that desktop turned on? Sonos wouldn’t  be able to see any music in that location if it couldn’t access the running hard drive. 

If it is, it might be worthwhile to delete the pointer to the music location from the Sonos ‘library’ function, and add it again. It’s possible that there was an update somewhere along the line that is causing issues. Forcing a new handshake, and a fresh scan of the music files certainly couldn’t hurt. 

Your help has been tremendous! Thank you so much-finally got the total music package going!