Can no longer connect reliably

• 20 December 2020
  • 3 replies

I have two Sonos One (a year old), and an older Connect (I can’t figure out what generation but it’s at least 3 years old, I would guess), and connect via iOS (running 14.3) as well as desktop. 

I was connecting just fine, then the Ones kept having issues, dropping off the network, no longer able to play. I connected all of my devices to ethernet cable and reconnected them to the network. This worked for a while, then stopped again. The only machine that would work consistently was the Connect. 

I tried switching wifi, turning off the security for that wifi, which i had read as a possible solution, and again, works a bit then not.

I connected the Connect to ethernet, and all of a sudden, my issues seemed to go away. I can’t keep the ethernet connected since it’s in another room, but it got me wondering about the system maybe seeing the Connect as the primary hub for my system, and if it was connected,the others could be too? Since the other devices have a microphone and the Connect does not, this is causing issues? Is it possible that my Connect is just too old? 

If i unplug the Connect entirely the sonos system says there’s nothing to connect to. It seems i can’t even set up my network without having the Connect!

Frustrated. 

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Turn off WiFi doesn’t turn off WiFi, it turns off the whole radio, WiFi and SonosNet. You really don’t want to do that.

I’d start with a step that has helped a lot of folks, assign stqatic. reserved IP addresses to all Sonos. Power them down, reboot router and controller(s) and power up a wired then unwired Sonos.

You can see your Sonos connections from the internal Network Matrix web page.

Thanks for this - to clarify, I wasn’t switching OFF wifi, but rather, switching wifi networks - 5g, 2.4g, etc.

I like the idea of assigning reserved IP addresses. I figured out how to pull up the network matrix page, but that’s kind of my limit! Assuming I’m doing this through the router admin page?  Is there a tutorial on this that people recommend? 

thanks again

Ok, so I figured out how to assign the static IPs, but the problem still persists.

As soon as I remove the ethernet connection to my Connect the whole system goes down - none of the Sonos are visible in the app and I get the ‘Unable to connect to Sonos’ message.

Plug it back in and it’s all working again.  

Not sure if this helps - the issue I am having is with the one in the bottom left corner