Can I use my sonos as speaker of my MacBook ?

• 25 September 2016
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Can I use my sonos as speaker of my MacBook as all normal wireless speakers do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

No. Sonos is not a 'normal wireless speaker', it's a multi-room network streaming system. In particular it's not designed for use as computer speakers. Perhaps what you actually wanted was a simple Bluetooth speaker?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sorry what's the meaning of ''normal''? Speakers aren't to listen sounds and music ? They should work with my computer ''normally''..?
Not if they're not designed as computer speakers, and Sonos aren't.

Some people use a Line-In connection to a Sonos unit and put up with the 70ms latency. For gamers this would however probably be a deal-breaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As Ratty says if you have a line-in you're all good. Trouble is the Play1, Play 3 and Playbar do not have a line-in (sad-face)

But if you follow this Video tutorial guide you can add a line-in to your Sonos speakers.
Hi Stuart. I just hope you haven't underestimated some people's capacity for stupidity 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hi Stuart. I just hope you haven't underestimated some people's capacity for stupidity :)

I am rather hoping the Darwin Award principle will apply!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1845589/clueless-iphone-7-owners-tricked-into-drilling-hole-in-their-phones-to-get-a-headphone-jack/
Userlevel 1
Badge
Stuart fas time to lose with stupid jokes however I do hope Sonos will reply to a serious question soon.
What's the question though? Bluetooth? No: http://www.sonos.com/sonos-vs-bluetooth

Network-based audio transmission from a computer? Search these forums. A minority have requested it for years but it's never happened.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The problem of this forum are useless answers like this! First of all I buy what I like and I don't need these bluetooth suggestions. Second every wireless speaker in this world is also a Computer speaker otherwise the Sonos application you would not be able to play your ''computer'' music library!
What is missing is the MacOS option in Sound settings to select your Sonos system as an output. Easy to understand from a minority point of view!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
We understand the request you are making. The problem is there's only one answer that you wouldn't call useless and that is not going to happen.

If you want computer speakers then that is what you should buy.
You're multiposting. I just answered that one, but will repro here since it's directly relevant:

First of all I buy what I like and I don't need these suggestions.
And Sonos market what they like. They don't build computer speakers.

Second every wireless speaker in this world is also a Computer speaker otherwise in the Sonos application you would not be able to play your ''computer'' music library!

A fundamental misunderstanding. Sonos simply fetches files from the computer using the CIFS/SMB file sharing protocol, just as it can from a NAS. A Sonos desktop controller need not be installed. The computer has no idea what the Sonos player wants the file for.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I think Sonos with this forum answers has a really bad marketing problem. The answer is ''buy'' computer speakers. Who the hell wants computer speakers ??? I want my computer to channel the sound where I want as Airplay .......
Easy...!

There is NO NEED TO ASNWER to say same things over and over
Sonos long ago rejected native Airplay. Even Bose recently discontinued support in latest SoundTouch models. It's a proprietary scheme with an error-prone system architecture, since all incoming audio must loop out and back via the mobile.

If you must use Airplay, wire an Airport Express to a Sonos Line-In jack,
Exactly as Ratty says.

For some apps I use Airport Express wired to Sonos line-in, and it works - mostly(!).
Userlevel 1
Badge
Ratty thanks for explaining. I did not know how sonos worked and that it sees the computer as a NAS. I’ve tried some Linux software that sends to Sonos and always there is lag. And this explains it! Ok for music, but not for video or gaming. Though using line in on my sonos5 works ok for me.