Can I mix sonosnet and wifi on the same set-up?

Hi all

I've got a very stable 4 speaker set-up in my house. (Play:1, Play:3, Play5 and Playbar). I use a Boost wired to the network to get the sonosnet created and link in the Playbar which is a distance from the other units. Therefore I'm using sonosnet not wifi.

I use the ethernet on the back of the Playbar to feed a connected television that does not have wifi built in.

I have just installed an outdoor Wireless Access Point and now have wifi coverage all over the garden. I'd like to take a Sonos unit down to the bottom of the garden where I have a power socket near our dining table. 

My preference would be to keep the house units on sonosnet (thick walls, some patchy wifi areas in the house that sonosnet deals with very well) and use wifi just for the unit at the end of the garden which can pick up the signal from the AP.

Is that possible?

Cheers loads for your help

Cracker

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I believe that a SONOS system can only be on SONOSnet OR WiFi, not both. Your SONOSnet signal might reach out into your garden anyway.

You can check that with an Android device by going to SONOS > Settings > Advanced Settings > Allow SONOSnet connections then connect to 'Sonos' and use your Android device to see if you get a good enough SONOS signal where you are planning to put the speaker(s)

http://blog.sonos.com/sonos-stories/t...
I believe that a SONOS system can only be on SONOSnet OR WiFi, not both. Your SONOSnet signal might reach out into your garden anyway.

You can check that with an Android device by going to SONOS > Settings > Advanced Settings > Allow SONOSnet connections then connect to 'Sonos' and use your Android device to see if you get a good enough SONOS signal where you are planning to put the speaker(s)

Thanks for your helpful reply Josh - I've just been out to test the SONOSnet signal and unfortunately it does not reach the area in question 😞
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

What if you plug the BOOST into the AP that you just added to get wifi in your garden? Are you still able to use the rest of your system normally when the BOOST is in that place and does the SONOSnet signal reach the farthest part of the garden when it's plugged in there? Note: If it doesn't work straight away, wait 10 minutes or so and see if it does then.

The AP is a special outdoor one and is wall mounted on the side of the house. It runs on POE and I don't have regular power there for the boost and I guess it shouldn't be mounted outside.. though I like your thinking!

PS - I tried a homeplug too but for some reason the signal didn't travel down that part of the circuit - I think it's because it's on a special breaker....
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Ok. Try putting a speaker close to the garden but not outside and then see if SONOSnet reaches the desired area.

Wait about 4-5 mins after the light goes solid white on the speaker you moved and then check.
Cracker,

Go to  Settings --> Advanced --> Wireless Setup and enter your WiFi credentials. Give the system a couple of minutes to work through this new setting. Now, take one of your players to the distant garden location. If that unit is isolated enough that it can't get a piece of SonosNet, it should switch to WiFi. I have not personally tried this, but it will likely work out.

If you go to About my Sonos system... there will be a "WM:x" flag for each unit. If the unit is using WiFi, x=1.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Cracker,

Go to  Settings --> Advanced --> Wireless Setup and enter your WiFi credentials. Give the system a couple of minutes to work through this new setting. Now, take one of your players to the distant garden location. If that unit is isolated enough that it can't get a piece of SonosNet, it should switch to WiFi. I have not personally tried this, but it will likely work out.

If you go to About my Sonos system... there will be a "WM:x" flag for each unit. If the unit is using WiFi, x=1.

"My preference would be to keep the house units on sonosnet (thick walls, some patchy wifi areas in the house that sonosnet deals with very well) and use wifi just for the unit at the end of the garden which can pick up the signal from the AP." I'm trying to see if a BRIDGE in between the BOOST and Garden would work.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Cracker,

I think that they all switch to WiFi when you do that (Which cracker doesn't really want, as mentioned in the original post). Worth a shot.

I was trying to see if a bridge in between the BOOST and garden would extend the SONOSnet signal enough.
Cracker,

Yes, an additional BOOST or two will work. The system should support "Mixed Mode", but I have never tried this. I don't know exactly what happens to the network ports for a Mixed Mode system.

It's cheap to try my Mixed Mode scheme.
Cracker,

Thanks both of you - I cannot unfortunately get a speaker near enough to get a signal down the garden and there is no place to put a bridge / boost halfway.

I'll try the mixed mode - I guess I can always change it back to SONOSnet if it forces all the units over.....
Badge
Your Sonos devices check during their boot-up cycle what connections are available and will prefer Sonosnet over your own Wifi. If your player is out of range from other Sonos devices but is in range of your Wifi it will use that connection instead.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Your Sonos devices check during their boot-up cycle what connections are available and will prefer Sonosnet over your own Wifi. If your player is out of range from other Sonos devices but is in range of your Wifi it will use that connection instead.
So let me make sure I understand that...

If you have a Sonos Bridge wired to your router... you have two Sonos speakers within range of the Bridge... then on the other side of your house, outside of the wireless SonosNet range, but within WiFi range (due to a second AP or WiFi extender), you have another speaker, this additional speaker would be able to use WiFi to connect?

I was under the impression that if SonosNet is being used, EVERYTHING is using SonosNet. I didn't know it was possible to mix things up like this.
I was under the impression that if SonosNet is being used, EVERYTHING is using SonosNet. I didn't know it was possible to mix things up like this.
It's so-called Mixed Mode. It's probably quite hard to deliberately contrive in the average house, but I've managed to do so as a test.

On the other hand I found that on one Household I was getting Mixed Mode when I shouldn't. One unit wouldn't switch back to SonosNet when a component was wired. I had to factory reset the troublemaker.
Badge
@MikeV
As long as that second AP forwards all network traffic and doesn't filter out multicast and such (which depends on the make and model used), we seen plenty of people using a similar setup as you're describing. It is required though to have the proper "SSID" or network name configured in the wireless setup to allow the Sonos device to connect to it (so no SSID_EXT for example like some extenders do).
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
It's so-called Mixed Mode. It's probably quite hard to deliberately contrive in the average house, but I've managed to do so as a test.

On the other hand I found that on one Household I was getting Mixed Mode when I shouldn't. One unit wouldn't switch back to SonosNet when a component was wired. I had to factory reset the troublemaker.

I’ve just bad an issue where a few players dropped out of a group and suddenly stopped playing. Looking at config seema now for aome reason some rooms have decided to go WM1 rather than WM0. Only issue I found was when I added a room on wm1 into group of wm0 rooms the spotify stream would play for a while. I tried rebooting but the room with the Boost and router still insist on connecting to the wifi. So I guess I’ve ‘by magic’ found myself in mixed mode. Workaround for the group seems to stop the stream, switch to another then switch back again. So far been playing all ovee the house in mixed mode with non-issues. I think the root cause of this is that I’ve recently rearranged the room and moved the router and boost positions (to be further apart. Though oddly the boost is closer to the playber which is now connecting to wifi. If it continues working i’ll not worry which mode rooms are in. I don’t leave every room powered on 24/7 either, only most frequently used so i huess that might be a factor. Glad i found this thread to confirm the options. Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Have you removed the WiFi connection information from your devices? With that erased they shouldn't be seeing the WiFi to connect to it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Have you removed the WiFi connection information from your devices? With that erased they shouldn't be seeing the WiFi to connect to it.

Thanks for the tip, I thiugh that was done as the wireless setup ‘wizard’ seemed to start over so I assumed it had been removed automatically when Boost was set up. I did’nt realize (since learnt) that it was hidden behind the ios keyboard! Reset it now, so will see jow things fair.

Learn something new every day. ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
@ Stanley_4 a big thank you for that tip again. I've been reviewing the sonos matrix performance this evening and I have a LOT more green than previously! In fact almost everything is green except two which are yellow and parked in far corners of the house. If it were not for this 2 year old thread and a chance reply I'd probably have laboured on for a while longer trying to figure out why the new placement of the Router/Boost was not working as well as I'd hoped. I'd missed the step of removing the wifi credentials altogether somehow assuming it had been done automatically, probably because everything was connecting on WM0 until this weekend - I tend only to powe up some rooms at the weekend to save wasting electricity and since moving the router/boost can only assume that caused some devices to connect to wifi as I was inadvertently in "mixed mode". All on Boost now and working like a charm!!!! Thank you.