Answered

Can I connect a Bridge to a wifi repeater instead of a router?

• 12 February 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi, thank you very much for your help. I share internet with my neighbors and we keep the router in their apartment. But I would rather not ask permission to keep my Bridge at their place. If I purchase a wireless repeater could I connect the Bridge to that instead? My speaker is a Play 3.
icon

Best answer by ratty 12 February 2017, 08:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Repeaters/extenders aren't officially supported, but it could well work. But why do you need a BRIDGE (or BOOST) anyway? Have you tried simply attaching the PLAY:3 to the next door router's WiFi?

Temporarily wire the BRIDGE (or PLAY:3) to the router. Go to Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup in the Sonos controller and configure in the WiFi details. You can then operate the PLAY:3 entirely wirelessly without the BRIDGE.
Another possibility you might consider is to get a travel router. This would allow you to share the internet connection from the router, but have an entirely separate and secure wifi network of your own. There are many positives to this beyond Sonos.

I use a Netgear Trek N300 PR2000 travel router. I am not sure if that is still available, but it will give you an idea of what I mean if you Google it.
Thanks Ratty, that worked beautifully. John, I didn't know those existed but that's a really great idea too. I'm going to look into it.