Answered

Can a Sonos unit disabled deliberately by Sonos as part of the Trade Up program be identified by an end user?

• 6 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

The title states the question.

More background: I will occasionally purchase a unit in non functional status in order to repair it. A software locked unit is unrepairable, from my point. I won’t waste time if I can determine if it is disabled unit. Better yet, I can ask the seller the question directly, but that does not always work.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 December 2019, 00:56

My understanding is only by connecting it to an existing system, and attempting to add it, which will bring up some sort of warning.

I don’t believe there’s a published list of items by number or MAC address to check, if that’s what you’re looking for. 

View original

5 replies

My understanding is only by connecting it to an existing system, and attempting to add it, which will bring up some sort of warning.

I don’t believe there’s a published list of items by number or MAC address to check, if that’s what you’re looking for. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Bruce is correct, there isn’t currently a way to identify a disabled unit, other than trying to add it to a system. I’ll let the team know there’s a desire for something else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Having a unique LED color/blink sequence would be ideal. You power it up, it boots and the LED starts a unique pattern.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226?language=en_US

Solid red doesn’t appear to have been taken yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If someone sends me a disabled device  (can pickup in the Seattle area), I’ll write a simple app to detect it. But I’m not willing to brick one of my own to figure this out...

I’m still dithering on doing the trade up  myself. If I can figure out if I want to or not, I can ship the “terminated” one, a PLAY:5, unfortunately, to you.