Answered

Can a Sonos unit disabled deliberately by Sonos as part of the Trade Up program be identified by an end user?

• 6 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

The title states the question.

More background: I will occasionally purchase a unit in non functional status in order to repair it. A software locked unit is unrepairable, from my point. I won’t waste time if I can determine if it is disabled unit. Better yet, I can ask the seller the question directly, but that does not always work.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 December 2019, 00:56

My understanding is only by connecting it to an existing system, and attempting to add it, which will bring up some sort of warning.

I don’t believe there’s a published list of items by number or MAC address to check, if that’s what you’re looking for. 

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

My understanding is only by connecting it to an existing system, and attempting to add it, which will bring up some sort of warning.

I don’t believe there’s a published list of items by number or MAC address to check, if that’s what you’re looking for. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Bruce is correct, there isn’t currently a way to identify a disabled unit, other than trying to add it to a system. I’ll let the team know there’s a desire for something else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Having a unique LED color/blink sequence would be ideal. You power it up, it boots and the LED starts a unique pattern.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226?language=en_US

Solid red doesn’t appear to have been taken yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If someone sends me a disabled device  (can pickup in the Seattle area), I’ll write a simple app to detect it. But I’m not willing to brick one of my own to figure this out...

I’m still dithering on doing the trade up  myself. If I can figure out if I want to or not, I can ship the “terminated” one, a PLAY:5, unfortunately, to you.