Question

Buzzing from Play:1s and Sonos Sub

• 19 December 2016
  • 5 replies

Hey everyone, so this is my first time using the forums and I'm really hoping you all can help me. I've had a stereo pair of Play:1s and a Sonos Sub in my room for the better part of three months without any issues whatsoever. They are positioned under my TV, near a cable box and an Apple TV. Recently I purchased a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable as well as a Pro-ject Pre-Amp and connected them to my system using a Sonos Connect. Shortly after playing my first record, I noticed a faint buzzing coming from the Play:1s as well as the Sub. The buzz coming from the Sub's consistent, whether there's music playing or not. The Play:1s buzz's only audible when music is playing and for a short period afterwards. I began to troubleshoot and tried to look online for the cause of the noise. Here are the things I've tried:
- First I cut power to the turntable, Connect and Pre-amp, all of which didn't help my situation.
- Then I powered off and powered back on the Sub and Play:1s, still buzzing
- Afterwards I swapped out the cable going from my BOOST to my router, nope not that.
- Then I moved the BOOST as far as I could from the router, which was basically three feet (the length of the cable connecting it to the router). That didn't solve my problem either.
- I then moved the Sub into another room, to see if I would still be having the same issues, and to my frustration... buzzzzzzz.

So I believe I've narrowed it down to some kind of network interference but I have no idea how to solve the issue from this point onwards. I will try calling Sonos for support some time later this week as I've pretty much had my full of troubleshooting for now. If any of you know what the problem may be or have a suggestion on how to resolve it, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

My diagnostic number's 6890976. I ran the diagnostic without the turntable, pre-amp or Connect powered on, as my main concern right now is to elimatinate the buzzing that's still present without those being powered. I also forgot to mention that I did try removing the cable wire from the cable box but that didn't help either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Norcia, I just wanted to check in and see how things are going. We saw you got some replacements through the support email and checked in with the senior technician that was working ont he case. Just wanted to make sure you were doing alright now.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.
Hello Ryan. I've been meaning to get in contact with Sonos after the holidays. After troubleshooting and not finding the source of the buzzing, I was sent the tracking slips to replace the products. However, during the holidays, prior to shipping out the speakers to be replaced, I picked up a new Play:1. I'm having the exact same issue with the new speaker as I am having with the others. They are in different rooms but all share the same issue. When I first called about this issue, I was told that it could be interference due to Christmas decorations, hence why I waited for a while to call back and try to resolve the issue. Obviously there's some sort of interference going on but I have no idea what's causing it. Thanks for checking in. Let me know if you have any ideas or if you would like me to send a new diagnostic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Christmas decorations are an odd source for this sort of thing, so it makes sense that it isn't the cause. I'd think it's more to do with the power lines, though I noticed you took it over to a friend's house and it had the same issue there.

Just to make sure, you mention here that you don't hear the hum on the speakers until after you tell them to play something, right? Do you hear it while they're playing?

Sometimes there's a very slight hum from the amplifier on players before it goes into idle, but what you're describing doesn't sound like that unless you have very acute hearing. UK units can be slightly louder too, because of the power differences. That's basically the hum of the device being powered up and ready to go. Also, there could be a hum from the players if you have the line-in source set to be playing and there's no audio on it.

I'd say it's best to follow up on that ticket you have, so feel free to reply back to that email and it'll reopen the ticket if it was closed.
The Sub has a constant high frequency buzzing noice at all times, which wasn't present before. The Play:1s hum is only really audible at low volumes and right after playing something; for a couple minutes. I believe this all started when I tried to introduce a Connect into my system; but once I got rid of the Connect I continued to have the same issues. I'll be sure to follow up on the email I was sent.