F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)
Badge +17

Update - 11th June 2021:

BT have confirmed that the firmware update that contains a fix for this original issue has been rolled out to the majority of users. Therefore, we can consider this issue closed. 

If your BT Smart Hub 2 router is still running the affected firmware (V0.26.03.01286) then please get in touch with BT directly.

Anyone that still experiences issues on the latest firmware, please create a new topic or get in touch with Sonos Customer Care.

Update - 7th May 2021:

BT have issued a new statement:

We’re aware that a very small number of customers are experiencing an issue with their BT Smart Hub 2 connecting with multiple streaming devices on their Wi-Fi network. Any customer who experiences this should get in touch with BT who will update their device remotely as soon as possible. BT will be rolling out an update to all devices later this month. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Original post - 22nd April 2021:

Hey everyone,

We’re aware of an issue affecting Sonos users with BT Smart Hub 2 routers that causes problems with connecting to players in a wireless configuration. This is caused by a bug in the BT Smart Hub 2’s firmware (version V0.26.03.01286) which prevents devices on the 5GHz band from communicating with devices on the 2.4GHz band, and vice versa. Most of the affected users have iPhones running iOS version 14.4.2, but we have seen other types of controller, such as Android devices, affected by this issue as well.

The most consistent workaround we have discovered is to disable the 5GHz band on the BT Smart Hub 2. You can learn more about how to do this using these steps:

Please be aware, turning off 5GHz could affect the speed at which other devices connect through the network and should only be considered a temporary workaround.

Steps taken from a post on the BT Community.

1) Open a new web browser on a device connected to your Hub and type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.

2) Click Wireless. This will open the Wireless Settings page.

3) Select ‘Change settings

4) Enter the Admin password. This is found on the back of the router and on the removable card. Click ‘OK

5) Toggle 5GHz OFF

6) Click 'Save'

7) Click 'Yes' at the warning prompt.

8) Wait for your devices to reconnect. You may need to reboot your Sonos devices by powering them down for 30 seconds and powering them back up.

Alternatively, some users have been able to work around the issue by wiring a player directly to the router, though this doesn’t work in every case. Systems that have a Sonos Move or Roam on them will also not be helped by this change, so disabling 5GHz would be best for those households.

We recommend that you report this issue to BT with the following information:

“Devices connected to the 5GHz band are not able to communicate with devices connected to the 2.4GHz band and it appears the connections are being erroneously isolated.”

You don’t need to specifically mention Sonos devices when reporting this issue to BT as the information alone will be enough for them to recognize the issue you’re facing.

BT are indeed aware of this issue and are actively investigating and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We’ll update this post with any further news as and when we receive it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

Badge +17

Hey everyone,

I have an update to share with you all regarding this issue.

BT have let us know that they are working towards pushing a fix to affected routers over the next 4-5 weeks. This will be rolled out in waves due to the high number of BT Smart Hub 2 units in customers homes, as well as making sure that the new firmware has no further issues and correctly resolves this problem. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Suffering this issue myself and its getting pretty frustrating. 

Have a mixed bag of a system here. 

2 Sonos One 

2 Ikea Symfonsik 

2 Amazon Echo Dots 

A couple of weeks back the Symfonisk’s became very hit and miss. Would fail to connect via Airplay and would just disappear from the Sonos App. 

The Sonos One’s would work fine during this period so assumed maybe the Symfonisks were failing. However the Echo Dots I discovered could happily control the Symfonisks regardless of whether they were showing in the Sonos App/Airplay so they were working but for whatever reason the Sonos App was ‘losing’ them. 

This was all happening on the older BT Home Hub 2 and right up until that point a few weeks back I had experienced no real issues.  

Anyway I Have recently changed to the Full Fibre BT package and that comes with the BT Smart Hub 2. 

The fun and games that people are experiencing have taken full effect. 

Spent hours trying to get the Sonos/Ikea connected to the network. When they connected it was short lived. I have done everything that the numerous threads have suggested but still having issues. 

The Echo Dots worked instantly and in minutes and have worked perfectly since and can also still control (either via voice control or using the Alexa App) the Sonos/Ikea speakers regardless of what the Sonos App/Airplay are doing. 

To me it seems disingenuous to put this squarely on BT although it may be the case but for me my issues have existed prior to the Smart Hub 2 ‘upgrade’ so lead me to believe that a recent Sonos App update is also causing issues. 

Hope something gets sorted soon as currently I have £600 worth of speakers sat largely useless whilst the cheap as chips Echo Dots work flawlessly. 

Userlevel 1

Update from BT complaints, acknowledging it’s a an issue with the firmware (yay). Priority 1 issue and should be fixed in the coming days. Only affects devices connected directly to the SH2 apparently and devices connected to the wifi discs would be unaffected. Was already looking to replace it myself with a Ubiquity UniFi Dream Machine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So maybe the issue is solely BT’s then.
Still. Why does the Ring camera work but the Sonos gear doesn’t. Strange. 

Fingers crossed they come good sooner rather than later then now. 

Of course this is solely BT’s issue. The fact your Ring works is not at all “strange” because it doesn’t do a device-device connection: the camera goes out to the internet. Their app on your phone goes out to the internet. Even BT don’t get device->internet wrong. Sonos needs device-to-device, on your local network, to function correctly, so when BT make some devices (5GHz) not connect to some other devices (2.4GHz) on the same damn network then Sonos’ whole network model breaks down.

Badge

Have complained to BT - thanks

Badge +17

Hi @skg21,

What kind of router do you have? Is it a BT Smart Hub 2? If so, have a read of this article and let me know how you get on.

I have just spoke to BT and they have said this issue will be sorted by 12th May - Here’s Hoping!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is very interesting a good to know as I’ve been pulling my hair out for the last few weeks.

I have 2 x Play1, 1 x OneSL, 1 x Beam and 1 x Boost

Ive been having connectivity issues and a couple of weeks ago we couldn’t connect at all.

Today I have unplugged my Boost and hardwire the Beam instead - all seems to be working again. Not ideal though as the Boost is new 🙄🙄

is this only an issue with the Smart Hub 2 as we’re thinking of moving over to Virgin anyway, so hoping the issue will resolve itself?

I’ve heard it’s only a BT issue with users with SmartHub 2, firmware update on 10th April is buggy and isolating devices on 5ghz communicating with devices on 2.4ghz.

From my perspective and for what it’s worth, I can  confidently say this is a BT router firmware issue as I was fine before 10th April, and now my Sonos system (which is all on the 2.4ghz with exception of a 5ghz Move) can’t connect to my phone/controller when it’s on the 5ghz band.

Furthermore, I have a Hue Sync Box on the 2.4ghz that my Hue Sync app also can’t reach.

As soon as I turn the 5ghz band off.. boom.. all works perfectly.

I have to have 5ghz on though as bandwidth is too limited on 2.4ghz. I’ve Ethernet-connected a Play:1 in to the router, that allows me to have 5ghz on as ‘sonosnet’ doesn’t care about 2.4 versus 5.. but means I can only intermittently reach my Sonos Move.

Fingers crossed for a router firmware update from BT.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have filed a complaint with BT. Easily the worst internet provider I’ve ever encountered. 

Anybody got an update?  Supposedly a fix was due before end of May but not forthcoming yet - v0.26.04.04227-BT has not fixed the problem.

Does the 7th May update mentioned at the very start of this thread not work? - it says to contact BT via the link and they will fix things remotely?  

Talked to them several times - doesn’t really get fixed - they install firmware v0.26.04.04227-BT and it doesn’t fix things, in fact, makes things worse and wifi has become more unstable.  The only fix at the moment is to turn off 5ghz.

Our Sonos system comprises four Sonos:Play1s, a Sonos:Play3 and a Sonos Soundbar. They have all worked fine for nearly 4 years. Now everytime my wife and I try to connect via our Android and iOS Sonos2 apps the system cannot be found. We've followed all advice through the app, managing to temporarily reconnect Sonos to our home WiFi network only for it to fail again and lose connection a couple if hours later.

Every other device in the home runs fine off our WiFi. There have been no updates to our WiFi network or router and we have submitted multiple diagnostic reports without reply.

Now at a loss with what to do and finding the situation and lack of support incredibly bad for the amount of money spent over the years in Sonos products. 

Please help. 

Here is the confirmation number for one of our recent diagnostic reports: 870734868

I’ve actually got a better router Nighthawk x6 r8000 which would this and other issues I’m having with the Smart hub 2 but BT are blocking it from working. 

I don’t understand. Turn off the BT WiFi. Make sure the R8000’s WAN/Intenet port is the only thing connected to the BT hub (apart from YouView/IPTV if you have it). Connect everything else to the R8000.

Great. My download speeds are now too low to stream things on my Apple TV with 5ghz turned off so I’ve had to turn it back on, and now of course my Roam is no longer showing up in the Sonos app. 🙄 

Turning off the 5Ghz is something that can be done to prove the issue is having devices using  different bands not communicating (i.e. once only the 2.4 band exists, all devices connect to it albeit at a slower speed) but it’s not a practical long term solution.  My IOS devices wouldn’t communicate with Sonos until I forced all of my Sonos devices to use the same band by plugging one of the Sonos devices into an ethernet socket either on the router or on a complete wifi disc.  It’s been fine since then but the long term solution is for BT to update the firmware on the router so the two bands can communicate in the normal manner.  I understand your frustration but don’t lose your 5Ghz band; if you don’t have a bt complete wifi disc to plug into, you’re entitled to request one (and I think you’re entitled to three actually).  Once you can plug in a Sonos device, you can bring your 5Ghz bak online and all should be fine.

Badge

I’ve had the can’t find Sonos problem for a couple of weeks. Also problems connecting to my wireless Canon  scanner printer

a very helpful tech support person from Sonos suggested going into the Smart Hub settings page, Advanced and changing Wireless Mode from mode  1 to mode  2. Rebooted Smart Hub and both my Sonos speakers and everything is back working (as is my scanner).

Time will tell if this is a permanent fix but it’s worked this evening

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @phlash 

The BT Smart Hub 2 firmware update issue is only related to the Private Address on iPhones issue in the way that they both result in a Can’t Connect to Sonos situation. There are at least a dozen other things that also result in the same situation. This thread exists to explain to customers the details of this particular issue, but it doesn’t claim that every person with a Smart Hub 2 that Can’t Connect to Sonos is a victim of the firmware update - only those with the firmware version reported in the original post.

I have written a Troubleshooting Sonos on WiFi article - and I think I’ll now add the Local Network permissions and Private Addresses issues to that article as they do relate. Thanks.

Got this update yesterday. Restarted the hub and so far so good 👍

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Update

BT Engineer called me again tonight, he fully described the issues that we have been seeing and said that they firmly believe they will have done a firmware update by the end of the week. He advised me to keep a close eye on the BT Community forum as they will let us know when its released and then as soon as it is, i have to do a complete factory rest of the hub using the pin hole at the back

Fingers x’d 

Add me to the list of people having trouble with this BT update.

I’m not a Sonos user, but I started having difficulty playing media over DLNA on my PS4 in early April. I switched to a spare Chromecast which was equally problematic. I then realised it was all related to how 2.4ghz devices interacted with 5ghz devices, and here we are. I made a thread on the BT forum, and then found this one.

Let’s hope they get this sorted.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

My router was updated this week & all seems ok at present. The Sonos speakers have been working quite well the last few days….

I don’t want to tempt fate, but hopefully the latest firmware update has done the trick for me….🤞

The new firmware is v0.26.04.04227-BT…. 🤞

Userlevel 1

So maybe the issue is solely BT’s then.
Still. Why does the Ring camera work but the Sonos gear doesn’t. Strange. 

Fingers crossed they come good sooner rather than later then now. 

Of course this is solely BT’s issue. The fact your Ring works is not at all “strange” because it doesn’t do a device-device connection: the camera goes out to the internet. Their app on your phone goes out to the internet. Even BT don’t get device->internet wrong. Sonos needs device-to-device, on your local network, to function correctly, so when BT make some devices (5GHz) not connect to some other devices (2.4GHz) on the same damn network then Sonos’ whole network model breaks down.

Cool. Like I’ve said. Im no tech head so if a device on 2.4ghz works with my phone but another device doesn’t then yes, to me it’s ‘strange’.

Device to device or device to internet means nothing to the vast majority of us and like me probably don’t even now whether that’s the case or not for a particular product. 

So whilst it may be ‘obvious’ to you that these differences exist don’t assume we all understand those differences and how they play out in this instance.

Maybe Sonos could have added more explanation which wouldn’t then lead to people querying why some things work and some don’t when the conditions appear on the surface to be the same.

(As a side point though, I’d still be curious as to why Sonos use only 2.4ghz apart from that’s what hardware they have, more why that was chosen and not the ability to use both)

In simple terms the 2.4Ghz range is better over longer distances. 5GHZ is better over short distances. So for a whole home music streaming experience, 2.4Ghz is the right choice. 

Badge

Thank goodness for this forum, have been going insane with the same issue. I have raised a complaint and by coincidence have a BT engineer coming on Friday because our broadband speed has halved too!

Thanks for the information in this thread, I was literally pulling my hair out trying to understand what is going wrong. Have raised a complaint with BT.

If using a BT Smart Hub 2 Router, then perhaps see this link:

Ah, thank you, I hadn’t seen that. At least I know it isn’t just me!

Our Sonos system comprises four Sonos:Play1s, a Sonos:Play3 and a Sonos Soundbar. They have all worked fine for nearly 4 years. Now everytime my wife and I try to connect via our Android and iOS Sonos2 apps the system cannot be found. We've followed all advice through the app, managing to temporarily reconnect Sonos to our home WiFi network only for it to fail again and lose connection a couple if hours later.

Are you perhaps using the BT Smart Hub 2 router by any chance? There are some reports that a recent firmware update to that router has been causing issues with 2.4Ghz/5Ghz WiFi isolation, which could account for what you are seeing with your Sonos devices.

If so, then perhaps try disabling the 5Ghz WiFi band and see if that fixes your issue. If not, then perhaps ignore my post here.

edit: also see this thread.