F.A.Q.

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)

BT Smart Hub 2 - Connection Issues (April 2021)
Badge +17

Update - 11th June 2021:

BT have confirmed that the firmware update that contains a fix for this original issue has been rolled out to the majority of users. Therefore, we can consider this issue closed. 

If your BT Smart Hub 2 router is still running the affected firmware (V0.26.03.01286) then please get in touch with BT directly.

Anyone that still experiences issues on the latest firmware, please create a new topic or get in touch with Sonos Customer Care.

Update - 7th May 2021:

BT have issued a new statement:

We’re aware that a very small number of customers are experiencing an issue with their BT Smart Hub 2 connecting with multiple streaming devices on their Wi-Fi network. Any customer who experiences this should get in touch with BT who will update their device remotely as soon as possible. BT will be rolling out an update to all devices later this month. We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Original post - 22nd April 2021:

Hey everyone,

We’re aware of an issue affecting Sonos users with BT Smart Hub 2 routers that causes problems with connecting to players in a wireless configuration. This is caused by a bug in the BT Smart Hub 2’s firmware (version V0.26.03.01286) which prevents devices on the 5GHz band from communicating with devices on the 2.4GHz band, and vice versa. Most of the affected users have iPhones running iOS version 14.4.2, but we have seen other types of controller, such as Android devices, affected by this issue as well.

The most consistent workaround we have discovered is to disable the 5GHz band on the BT Smart Hub 2. You can learn more about how to do this using these steps:

Please be aware, turning off 5GHz could affect the speed at which other devices connect through the network and should only be considered a temporary workaround.

Steps taken from a post on the BT Community.

1) Open a new web browser on a device connected to your Hub and type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.

2) Click Wireless. This will open the Wireless Settings page.

3) Select ‘Change settings

4) Enter the Admin password. This is found on the back of the router and on the removable card. Click ‘OK

5) Toggle 5GHz OFF

6) Click 'Save'

7) Click 'Yes' at the warning prompt.

8) Wait for your devices to reconnect. You may need to reboot your Sonos devices by powering them down for 30 seconds and powering them back up.

Alternatively, some users have been able to work around the issue by wiring a player directly to the router, though this doesn’t work in every case. Systems that have a Sonos Move or Roam on them will also not be helped by this change, so disabling 5GHz would be best for those households.

We recommend that you report this issue to BT with the following information:

“Devices connected to the 5GHz band are not able to communicate with devices connected to the 2.4GHz band and it appears the connections are being erroneously isolated.”

You don’t need to specifically mention Sonos devices when reporting this issue to BT as the information alone will be enough for them to recognize the issue you’re facing.

BT are indeed aware of this issue and are actively investigating and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We’ll update this post with any further news as and when we receive it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

261 replies

So, my comment 5 posts ago was a bit premature^ after only just having received the update, 4 days later and everything now works, all the time.  The new firmware does fix the issue but there may be some short term issues before it settles down.

Got the new updated firmware three days ago, Sonos working as it should ,thank god

was really getting pissed off rebooting the smart hub, cheers by.

Has been fine for a couple of years

Last month - started dropping music.

Firmware reported: v0.26.04.04227-BT

Smart setup turned off

Still dropping music :(

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/2-4GHZ-and-5GHZ-Bands-BT-Smart-Hub-2/td-p/1907547/page/75

Take a look at this link. Many people having connection issues with smart hub 2

Anybody got an update?  Supposedly a fix was due before end of May but not forthcoming yet - v0.26.04.04227-BT has not fixed the problem.

Anybody got an update?  Supposedly a fix was due before end of May but not forthcoming yet - v0.26.04.04227-BT has not fixed the problem.

Does the 7th May update mentioned at the very start of this thread not work? - it says to contact BT via the link and they will fix things remotely?  

Does the 7th May update mentioned at the very start of this thread not work? - it says to contact BT via the link and they will fix things remotely?  

Talked to them several times - doesn’t really get fixed - they install firmware v0.26.04.04227-BT and it doesn’t fix things, in fact, makes things worse and wifi has become more unstable.  The only fix at the moment is to turn off 5ghz.

Badge +1

My v0.26.04.04227-BT update says 20th May. But I’m sure it’s not stable? I can tell using my device list in Airplay IOS usually there’s 8 but when it’s playing up only 3? Seems to be intermittent. Without 5ghz streaming video is ver wobbly & annoying. BT should give us a refund! 

Badge +1

As of today: BT admit they haven’t solved the issue and have no idea when it will be resolved. I suspect they’re drawing it out till the launch of Smart Hub 3 in a couple of months. I’m pressing them for a refund as my Wifi performance is well below what their adverting promises.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

My v0.26.04.04227-BT update says 20th May. But I’m sure it’s not stable? I can tell using my device list in Airplay IOS usually there’s 8 but when it’s playing up only 3? Seems to be intermittent. Without 5ghz streaming video is ver wobbly & annoying. BT should give us a refund! 

I was having problems before the dodgy update, especially with Airplay. It was worse after that update,  and now is back to like it was before the dodgy update. So Sonos rooms disappear occasionally and Airplay is still useless most of the time. 

Badge +1

I was having problems before the dodgy update, especially with Airplay. It was worse after that update,  and now is back to like it was before the dodgy update. So Sonos rooms disappear occasionally and Airplay is still useless most of the time. 

It hasn't changed as far as I’m concerned. They keep logging my complaints then closing them down. The last advisor told me to formally write to their HQ. They’ve been instructed to close down complaints they can’t do anything about! They guarantee speeds, Broadband & WiFi, so we should be refunded for only having 2.4ghz available. 

Badge +17

Hi everyone,

BT have confirmed that the firmware update that contains a fix for this original issue has been rolled out to the majority of users. Therefore, we can consider this issue closed, and I’ll be closing out this topic. 

If your BT Smart Hub 2 router is still running the affected firmware (V0.26.03.01286) then please get in touch with BT directly.

Anyone that still experiences issues on the latest firmware, please create a new topic or get in touch with Sonos Customer Care.