Answered

BT Home Hub 6 with a USB stick acting as a NAS drive

• 12 March 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi all, I have spent a good few months slowly building up my knowledge on the Sonos system. Some things are really easy to grasp, others end up with me being lost and confused.

I have all my music as FLAC on my PC. When the PC goes to sleep or gets turned off, the music stops (this I fully understand).

I have however read that I could plug a USB stick into my BT Home Hub 6 router, copy my music to that and then it doesn't matter what the PC does as the router/music will always be available to the Sonos system.

So with this in mind I have done the following:-
1. Plugged in a small USB stick into the BT Home HUB 6 router.
2. Mapped the USB stick.
3. Copied a few test files across to check that the network can "see" the USB stick.
4. Now this is where I get lost and confused, I believe the Sonos should be able to see the USB stick, but it doesn't......what am I missing, what have I not done, more importantly what do I need to do for Sonos to see my music?

many thanks
icon

Best answer by Edward R 15 March 2018, 15:28

Hi, GMR. Welcome to the community. As far as I am aware, the majority of ISP provided routers are only equipped with the USB port for maintenance purposes. I was unsure as to whether this was the case with the Smart Hub, so I did a quick web search. There is some chatter about using the USB port for network storage and it doesn't look positive. This thread is from BT's own forum. Perhaps another user can advise as to how this might work.

Note: This post links to a third-party site and contains information not published or endorsed by Sonos.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, GMR. Welcome to the community. As far as I am aware, the majority of ISP provided routers are only equipped with the USB port for maintenance purposes. I was unsure as to whether this was the case with the Smart Hub, so I did a quick web search. There is some chatter about using the USB port for network storage and it doesn't look positive. This thread is from BT's own forum. Perhaps another user can advise as to how this might work.

Note: This post links to a third-party site and contains information not published or endorsed by Sonos.
4. Now this is where I get lost and confused, I believe the Sonos should be able to see the USB stick, but it doesn't......what am I missing, what have I not done, more importantly what do I need to do for Sonos to see my music?
You can't use mapped drive letters. They only mean something in Windows.

In library setup you'd need to specify that it was a network drive. If you're doing that already what are you typing in? IIRC the address is //bthub/xxx where xxx is the name of the drive/partition (//192.168.1.254/xxx should also work). For example a Kingston USB stick is 'kingston'.

I've used USB sticks in BT Hub4, Hub5 and Hub6 (SmartHub). That said, my Hub6 started acting up with the stick that was inserted, so I eventually gave up and moved it elsewhere.
Hi Guys, I have "played around" with this problem for the last few weeks and basically got nowhere. Alas last night I tried again. For some reason I decided to enter the password I use to enter the routers setup/config page during the various Sonos screen prompts, it was at this point that the BT Home Hub was seen by the Sonos software. It asked me if this was the "area" that my music was stored and should it create a playlist. Ten minutes later the Sonos is happily playing my music. PC has been off for over two hours and still the music plays......success at last.