Question

Bridge only visible on ethernet

• 10 November 2019
  • 35 replies

Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 67 replies

Hi,

I use a Bridge and a Boost in my current Sonos setup and wanted to add back a previous Bridge to replace a Play:1 used as a “Bridge”, but which I now want to use elsewhere.  I actually have 4 Bridges that I haven’t used for some while and have tried to add each of them in turn back to the Sonos system without success.

Each time, I tried I had them in the same room as the Boost, close by my router.  When I first connected them they needed a software update, which is understandable, and for this they had to be connected direct to Router.  This allowed the update to take place and then they were visible in About My Sonos; however, as soon as the ethernet cable was removed, they disappeared from the system and no amount of Adding them back could find them.

Anybody got ideas what I am doing wrong?  As I say, I have tried 4 different Bridges, so think it unlikely that they are all kaput.  I know that Bridge is no longer flavour of the month with Sonos, but I have one that is already working exactly as I want the new one to do and can see no reason why none of them will work.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Is there still a Sonos device wired? If the system has flipped to WiFi mode -- for which you’d have had to enter WiFi credentials at some stage -- then the Bridges will disappear.

Look in Settings/System/About My System at how the units are connected. They should all show WM:0 if the system’s in SonosNet mode.  

Badge +3

Hi Ratty,

The Boost has always been wired throughout and is the Root device.  All devices have WM:0 set.

It’s conceivable that Sonos have removed Bridge’s ability to be used as a pure wireless relay. It is very old technology in Sonos terms. I no longer use any so can’t readily check.

bjw10,

If the Bridge is (once again) factory reset, now that’s it’s firmware has been updated, is there still the option to set it up ‘away from the router’?

I’m thinking if that setup-option is unavailable to you, you may have the answer.

Badge +3

Ken,

Not sure if I fully understand what you’ve said, but I’ve gone through the “Add Bridge” setup process many times. It tells me the device must be hardwired.  I connect it to the router and press the “connect” button and it comes back and tells its added, but as soon as I remove the ethernet cable, the Bridge disappears from About My Sonos.

Bear in mind that throughout all this, I have another Bridge, not attached to the router, working normally to extend my network.  It’s just I can’t add back any more.

Badge +3

Ratty,

If the Bridge has been deprived of its “wireless relay” ability, what practical use can it have apart from being the Root device.  Over my 9 years as a Sonos user, I have found it nrecessary to acquire 5 Bridges, which were needed to extend SonosNet to the furthest parts of the house, where wifi didn’t reach.  I have tried running Sonos on wifi, but it gave me nothing but grief. 

Bjw10,

During the initial setup of a Bridge, or Boost, there used to be two different setup options. One was as a wired root hub device and the other used to say ‘setup away from the router’ or similar wording, which was for it to act as a ‘stepping stone’ relay device, running on a SonosNet wireless signal.

As we have seen mentioned in the community it’s clear the Bridge is no longer 'flavour of the month’ to use your words ...and the thoughts are perhaps the recent updates have taken away the option to now set it up 'away from the router’. Although I'm not sure if that is the case.

If you no longer see the option to setup your (factory-reset/updated) Bridge 'away from the router', then you may want to ask Sonos Customer Care if that option is no longer available for this device to now be setup in that way.

It may also be possible that the BRIDGE’s power supply isn’t performing properly enough to get the device on wifi, or even that there’s been a failure on the wifi system on the device. It’s not clear from your original post about having four devices if you’ve tried different power cords each time you’ve tested.

To add a Bridge to a system it needs to be wired, at least temporarily. This has been the case for quite some time.

I don't know why wireless Bridges are then disappearing. Maybe I'll dig a couple out and do some tests when I have a spare minute. 

Badge +3

Ken,

The two different options are still there and I specify “away from the router”, but the result is always the same.  It would seem odd for Sonos to remove the wifi capability and say nothing about it.  After all, people paid good money for these products and for them to be rendered useless without mentioning it seems unlikely, if not completely unreasonable.

Airgetiam,

Whilst I have not used a new power cord with each Bridge, I have used at least 3 different ones.  From memory one of the psi’s failed a while back and I don't seem to have it any longer.

All,

I am just waiting for support to open at 09:00 here in the uk and will give them a call to try and get to the bottom of this.  If I learn anything useful, I will report back here.

Maybe I'll dig a couple out and do some tests when I have a spare minute. 

A small household was set up:

• one wired Bridge
  • one wireless Play:1
  • one wireless Bridge (which had to be temporarily wired in order to add it)

All are present and correct, with WM:0, running 10.5. The wireless Bridge is not crippled at all, so the option to use Bridge as a wireless relay is clearly still there. 

Quite why the OP’s Bridges are disappearing is therefore a mystery.

(Obviously if the wired Bridge is removed, the Play:1 reverts to WM:1 and the wireless Bridge does then vanish.)

Some setting in the router limiting the number of wireless devices?  Clutching at straws here, but @ratty’s experiment suggests it has to be something specific to OP’s router///

Although router would still see them as wired, I think

Badge +3

All,

After 2 hours on the phone with support, mostly spent trying to remove the need to use an additional  Bridge at all, I have an answer to the original problem.  No wireless functionality has been removed from the Bridge, I just needed to do (and know how to do) a factory reset.  Tried it with one Bridge and it is now added back successfully and connecting via SonosNet and not ethernet.  For failing to have done a factory reset, please accept my apologies for setting everyone off on a wild goose chase!

Whilst not using more Bridges is a laudable aim and one that I would support wholeheartedly, it is not practical given where I want to site my Sonos Players and the structure of our house.  I would happily go fully wifi for Sonos; however, the wifi signal in the house is generally poor.  I have recently been recommended to look at Ubiquiti kit to overcome this (I tried Google wifi but it didn’t work for me).  Does anyone have any experience of “wifi extenders” that both work well with Sonos and which Sonos deems to be acceptable?

I will just mention that when used with mesh wifi systems, Sonos is still best used in SonosNet mode. 

Regarding the factory resets, I suspect we all assumed they had been reset or would not have joined even when wired. At least, that is what I assumed. 

Badge +3

John B,

Re your first point, I wouldn’t disagree, but aren’t Sonos gently pushing us all towards wifi, instead of SonosNet?  As I understand it doesn’t the new Move only works on wifi and, similarly, doesn’t my Beam only communicate with the SUB via wifi?

John B,

Re your first point, I wouldn’t disagree, but aren’t Sonos gently pushing us all towards wifi, instead of SonosNet?  As I understand it doesn’t the new Move only works on wifi and, similarly, doesn’t my Beam only communicate with the SUB via wifi?

No I don’t think they are.  The Move isn’t designed to be a permanent part of the home network, so is a special case.

The Beam communicates with the Sub over 5GHz SonosNet.  Your wifi is not used for this at at all.  Not even in WiFi mode.

Edit: maybe it isn’t strictly correct to call it SonosNet, but it is using direct communication using a Sonos protocol that is not WiFi.:

Badge +3

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Hi,

I use a Bridge and a Boost in my current Sonos setup and wanted to add back a previous Bridge to replace a Play:1 used as a “Bridge”, but which I now want to use elsewhere.  I actually have 4 Bridges that I haven’t used for some while and have tried to add each of them in turn back to the Sonos system without success.

Each time, I tried I had them in the same room as the Boost, close by my router.  When I first connected them they needed a software update, which is understandable, and for this they had to be connected direct to Router.  This allowed the update to take place and then they were visible in About My Sonos; however, as soon as the ethernet cable was removed, they disappeared from the system and no amount of Adding them back could find them.

Anybody got ideas what I am doing wrong?  As I say, I have tried 4 different Bridges, so think it unlikely that they are all kaput.  I know that Bridge is no longer flavour of the month with Sonos, but I have one that is already working exactly as I want the new one to do and can see no reason why none of them will work.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Aw2a

Badge +3

And Aw2A means what exactly?

I’m also somewhat puzzled that the Bridges were evidently adding to the household successfully, yet their wireless behaviour was somehow comprised until a factory reset. This doesn’t follow conventional orthodoxy. It could be that there’s some undeclared glitch in the firmware, to which a reset is a crude but effective solution.

(In my earlier experiment I needed to power the Bridges up in reset anyway to shift them between households.)

‘Aw2a’ means I posted accidentally.  A phone-in-pocket bit of gibberish!  Sorry

Badge +3

And here’s me thinking, I was going to increase my text speak vocabulary, to the undoubted amusement of the younger generation!