Boost will not connect to new Asus RT AX-88U router

• 29 November 2021
  • 45 replies

Badge

I recently replaced my home router with a Asus RT AX88U router. After setting up my router using the same wifi name and password, I started my Sonos app. All my speakers were recognized and connected. The only component that would not reconnect was the Sonos boost. I tried a factory reset and the boost went through its startup, led flashing white / orange, then changed to a slow flashing green. The boost will on connect and I am at a loss. Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

45 replies

This week my Beam would not connect to my Asus RT-AX88U router.

I have previously tried the enable then disable Airtime Fairness trick on both 2,4 GHz and 5 GHz, but my Beam would still not connect to my router.

What did help was changing the following option under Wirless → Professional, under 2,4 GHz radio. My Modulation Scheme was set to “Up to MCS 11 (NitroQAM/1024-QAM)”, I selected instead “Up to MCS 9 (TurboQAM/256-QAM)”.

Power cycled all my Sonos gear (Beam, Sub and 2 x One), and they connected back to the router and rejoined my surround setup.

Badge

Not that I am aware of. I did do all the updates prior to configuring and turning up of my systems when I started the installation two days ago.

Did your router firmware update itself?

Badge

Good morning everyone.

I thought I would provide an update. This morning I accessed my sonos system with my controller connected to my 5G network. Low and behold, all my components were visible and working! I then thought I would try things on my 2.4 network. Surprisingly all components were visible and working on that network as well.

Unbelievable, this is a first for me in the 3 years I have owned Sonos everything has worked on both networks at the same time. Lets hope these connections are maintained in the days to come. 

Thanks again for all the input.

Userlevel 7

I don’t understand this one either. I have 3 Asus routers setup as an Asus AiMesh with an Ethernet Backhaul. Sonos is on the SonosNet via Boost Module. Sonos has 30 clients including Roam and Move both x 2.  No issues. 
I didn’t notice and I may have missed it …but has the OP checked for updates for his router?

Just to add these Sonos products support WPA3…

​​​​​

Not that it makes a difference in this case, as the OP is trying to make his wired/SonosNet system discoverable.

I still suspect the router of not handling discovery broadcasts correctly.

Yes, I think the same too …and either there’s a setting somewhere on the Asus router to allow the multicast broadcast to all segments of the LAN, or it’s something that Asus needs to address with their firmware.

Have you tried connecting Sonos to the Asus with a cheap Ethernet switch? I just bought a Netgear Nighthawk and saw my whole Sonos network disappear. […]

That’s not a Ethernet switch it’s a physical splitter, connecting one or other device at a time. If it solved a Spanning Tree problem caused by wiring two Sonos devices to the Nighthawk it did so by disconnecting one or other Sonos device entirely from the wired network.

Sorry, but it’s a total red herring in terms of the OP’s current problems.

That’s not accurate, there is and always was only one Sonos device wired to the network and that’s the Boost. Everything else is wireless and works. I never tried wiring two Sonos products to the Nighthawk. 

The fact is that the type of A/B splitter you referenced is a totally passive, straight-through device. I have several. What it isn’t is an Ethernet switch. 

I also can’t imagine why your Sonos disconnected when wired to the Nighthawk, unless there was something defective. I have Sonos wired to a Nighthawk R7000 and have done for years.

It did not work without the switch, now it does. It might be black magic but I now have my $7 solution. If it breaks down I will report.  

Have you tried connecting Sonos to the Asus with a cheap Ethernet switch? I just bought a Netgear Nighthawk and saw my whole Sonos network disappear. I googled the issue and one recommendation was to buy a simple ethernet switch and put it between the Nighthawk and the Bridge.

I got a «Findway 2 Ports Network Switch Splitter Selector Hub 2-in 1-Out or 1-in 2-Out 100M MT-RJ45-2M» for $7 from Amazon, plugged it in and my whole Sonos system came back immediately. I have to add that thirty minutes later it seems to work much better with this more powerful and modern router.

It seems, based on earlier posts, that there is some firewall incompatibility or IP address limitation with some WiFi 6 routers and luckily a workable, very slightly clunky solution. Maybe it works similarly with Asus. 

That’s not a Ethernet switch it’s a physical splitter, connecting one or other device at a time. If it solved a Spanning Tree problem caused by wiring two Sonos devices to the Nighthawk it did so by disconnecting one or other Sonos device entirely from the wired network.

That’s not accurate, there is and always was only one Sonos device wired to the network and that’s the Boost. Everything else is wireless and works. I never tried wiring two Sonos products to the Nighthawk. 

The fact is that the type of A/B splitter you referenced is a totally passive, straight-through device. I have several. What it isn’t is an Ethernet switch. 

I also can’t imagine why your Sonos disconnected when wired to the Nighthawk, unless there was something defective. I have Sonos wired to a Nighthawk R7000 and have done for years.

Have you tried connecting Sonos to the Asus with a cheap Ethernet switch? I just bought a Netgear Nighthawk and saw my whole Sonos network disappear. I googled the issue and one recommendation was to buy a simple ethernet switch and put it between the Nighthawk and the Bridge.

I got a «Findway 2 Ports Network Switch Splitter Selector Hub 2-in 1-Out or 1-in 2-Out 100M MT-RJ45-2M» for $7 from Amazon, plugged it in and my whole Sonos system came back immediately. I have to add that thirty minutes later it seems to work much better with this more powerful and modern router.

It seems, based on earlier posts, that there is some firewall incompatibility or IP address limitation with some WiFi 6 routers and luckily a workable, very slightly clunky solution. Maybe it works similarly with Asus. 

​​​​​

Not that it makes a difference in this case, as the OP is trying to make his wired/SonosNet system discoverable.

I still suspect the router of not handling discovery broadcasts correctly.

• Amp
  • Arc
  • Beam (Gen1 & 2)
  • Five
  • Move
  • One (SL, Gen2)
  • Port
  • Roam
  • Sub (Gen3)
Userlevel 7

Hi

I use Asus routers as well. Although it has nothing to do with the Boost the following may be causing connection issues. Although not recommended you may have to dispense with WPA3 altogether :disappointed:

Products That Do Not Support WPA3 "Mixed Mode" *

WPA3 is the latest standard for Wi-Fi encryption. This is separate from Wi-Fi 6 / 802.11ax, but in practice the same products will often be first or early to implement both.

If some devices experience problems connecting to the Wi-Fi 6 network, the problem may be in missing WPA3 support or the "WPA3/WPA2 mixed mode" feature. Mixed mode is intended to ensure that older clients can still connect, but in practice there are some clients who do not recognize this setting and refuse to connect at all.

Such problems are likely to apply to a number of older products, but reports we have received so far suggest that it applies at least to the following:

• Older Apple products, such as iPad 4 (from 2012) and other products using iOS version 12 or earlier
  • Older Microsoft Surface models

As WP3 is much safer than WPA2, we do not recommend downgrading the security of WPA2 to let older clients connect.

* More info on the subject here:  https://eyenetworks.no/en/wifi-6-compatibility/

The only “difference” between the Canadian/US Moves is the power cord it ships with. Otherwise, they’re exactly the same. 

One last check. Note the Move’s IP address on 2.4GHz (in Settings/System/About if you can’t get it elsewhere), and the Boost’s IP when accessed from the 5GHz segment. They should match in the first 3 octets, i.e. A.B.C.X and A.B.C.Y.

Badge

This Asus router does not support any VLANs

Is the router running stock firmware or a third party firmware? 

Badge

Worth checking. Thank you sir

Could the router have some kind of port-based VLANs enabled? It would worth checking. If the segments are on different VLANs this will obviously block traffic between segments. 

Badge

Thank Ken, that’s pretty much what I have been doing. 

im reluctant to scrap the Sonos boost because it keeps all components with the exception of the move on the same band. Prior to the boost being installed I had issues whereby a comment would disconnect and switch bands. That resulted in me potentially having the playbar on one band and the sub on another. The boost keeps everything on one band with the exception of the move.

I could also sell my Canadian version of the Sonos move and buy the US version. Lol

I’ll pick away at this in my spare time. 

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Yes it makes sense - it sounds like multicast/discovery of devices are just working on the separate network segments, but the packets are not passing between the segments - I can think of a way to perhaps solve it, but it means running all or your Sonos products on your routers 2.4Ghz band and set aside the Boost. Here’s my suggestion…

At your own risk …What you could do, is switch off the ‘Smart Connect’ feature and rename the 5Ghz band. So if your SSID is named ‘localnetwork’ (just as an example). Then simply rename the 5Ghz band by adding -5G to the SSID name, so that it becomes ‘localnetwork-5G’. Leave the 2.4Ghz band named ‘localnetwork’.

Then ensure the 2.4Ghz band SSID (localnetwork) is the only network SSID listed in the Sonos App in ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ area .. all should then run on your routers 2.4Ghz band only and if you connect your mobile controller to that band you should then see all your devices.

Then if you want other (non-Sonos) network devices to use the 5Ghz band, you can go onto move those over to the ‘localnetwork-5G’ band.

…But.. personally speaking, I think Asus should be the ones to fix this issue with their router firmware.

Badge

You are correct, I disabled the the 5G network by turning on the radio portion. This I assume only prevents the transmission and receiving of this frequency. When I did this, I could connect all my components except the Sonos boost. When i connected the boost, all components disappeared with the exception of the Sonos move.

As for the smart connect, when this was enabled, all I could see on my iPad was the Sonos move. With smart connect, I am not able to see which network I actually am on. The router simply assigned things. 

The only way I can see all components is by having my iPad connected to a specific network, so when connected to the 2.4 network, I could only see the Sonos move. When connected to the 5G network I could see the boost, play bar, sub and Sonos 1. 

I cannot connect to all the components on on network which results in not being able to stream the same music to all my components throughout my home.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

Earlier in your posts @Drewmyster you mentioned you had ‘disabled’ your 5Ghz WiFi band - did that not solve the issue, as all would then run on the 2.4Ghz band? It sounds to me however that @ratty hit the nail on the head here, when he said some routers don’t correctly forward discovery multicasts/broadcasts between network segments.. it sounds like this Asus router is one of those.

I noticed too, In one of the linked threads mentioned earlier, that @GuitarSuperstar mentions this…

"Is Smart Connect enabled on your router?” 

I’m guessing here, but I think he was suggesting that router feature needs to be ‘off’, but perhaps try it ‘on’ and ‘off’ to see if that setting might make a difference.

It sounds like a multicast/broadcast discovery issue to me and one that Asus perhaps needs to solve, I think. 

Badge

My boost is connected to the router and can only be seen by devices on the 5G network.

The move can only be seen on the 2.4 network 

So I cannot access all at once from the same controller, in my case, ipad, at the same time.