Answered

Boost white light turns itself back on when set to off

The last couple weeks our Boost turns it's light back on when set to off in the app. The app still shows it toggled off and to get the light to turn back off I need to toggle on then back off.  After a couple days I will see it back on again.  No sound issues I notice anywhere in the house.  Anyone else seeing this? 

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 22 May 2020, 20:05

Hello @Travistyofjustice,

Thank you for the additional details about your system set-up.

I have a few quick suggestions that should help resolve this issue, I think that whatever is going on with your Boost light is a canary in the coalmine for a much larger issue.

• First, can you change your Sonosnet channel from 6 to either 1 or 11. Without a network scan it’s difficult to advise on which end of the spectrum is less busy. If you would like, you can go to Settings > System >Network> Wireless-Setup. If you click “wireless set up but do not complete the process, your Sonos system will scan the network channels. If you then submit a diagnostic report, that report will then include information on neighboring network traffic and I could then advise on what channel is best.
  • Next, change your router’s channel to 6. This will keep your router on a non-overlapping channel and will reduce interference with your Sonos system and with other networks.
  • Third, the Router → Switch  → Switch → Boost → Playbase configuration is asking for trouble. Can the Boost be wired into the main router or even to the first switch? The Playbase can be wired directly into the second switch if necessary but I would not recommend it unless its absolutely necessary. 

Could the set up be changed to something more like either of these?

• Main router → Boost → )))Sonos 
  • Main router → Switch → Boost   

If you could make some changes and then submit a follow up diagnostic report along with how the light on your Boost is behaving, I would be happy to work with you on this.

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Hi everyone. Thank you for the details and your patience on this.

I personally feel that what’s happening with the LED light particularly with the Boosts is something that needs to be addressed in real-time.

I recommend that it would be best to reach out with Sonos Support, in order to perform an individual thorough investigation and track the issue at the same time.

This is the only way to create tickets together with all your provided information, which can be very essential in identifying the root cause of the issue and come up with a probable resolution.

Please give us a call during our business hours and a technician will continue working with you.

You can find our phone number and hours here: www.sonos.com/contact/contact-options

Please let us know if there’s anything else that we can do and we’d be glad to help.

Hated to do it, but electrical tape has been my only solution.

What gives @Sonos ?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Exactly this issue - I turn my second Boost’s light off with the app and it comes back on spontaneously. Particularly annoying as it’s under our bed. WTF is going on here? Seems like a simple issue but plainly has not been solved...

@Jean C. 

same issue here.  Toggling led to on and then back off temporarily disables the led.  Hours later, with no obvious system disconnects of any sort, the LED forgets its setting and defaults back to on.

maybe a quick fix on Sonos’s end would be to change the default behavior to led off, vs on.  That would be my default preference, at least.

My diagnostic confirmation number is 734278149.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue, with at least 2 of my 4 boosts turning on the status light, while the status-light switch in the controller remains off.  Like the first person in the thread mentioned, I need to toggle the switch to on and then off, to make these lights go off.  Is there an update as to what causes this problem?

Just to note that this is still a problem with the 12.0.2 to 12.0.3 update, which happened overnight on my S2 system.

PS:  My diagnostic confirmation number is: 366969535

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue, with at least 2 of my 4 boosts turning on the status light, while the status-light switch in the controller remains off.  Like the first person in the thread mentioned, I need to toggle the switch to on and then off, to make these lights go off.  Is there an update as to what causes this problem?

I am experiencing the same issue with my Boost. I have completed a wifi scan and verified that the current channel is the best choice.  My device is connected to a switch which is connected to my router.  My router provides only 1 LAN port. I have rebooted the Boost and it makes no difference. 

I am experiencing a similar problem with two OneSLs. In this case though the lights stay on no matter what setting shows in the app. This is recent,  I think since the most recent firmware update.  It started about 2 days ago. 

Diagnostic is 1388048377

The ONE SL problem was solved by unpairing and re-pairing the stereo pair.

I am experiencing the same issue with my Boost. I have completed a wifi scan and verified that the current channel is the best choice.  My device is connected to a switch which is connected to my router.  My router provides only 1 LAN port. I have rebooted the Boost and it makes no difference. 

I am experiencing a similar problem with two OneSLs. In this case though the lights stay on no matter what setting shows in the app. This is recent,  I think since the most recent firmware update.  It started about 2 days ago. 

Diagnostic is 1388048377

I made those changes and connected the Boost directly to the router but the indicator light still came back on when toggled off. I also moved some speakers around but they aren't nearby to the Boost.  I ran diagnostics again and the number is 352555350

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thank you for the additional details about your system set-up.

I have a few quick suggestions that should help resolve this issue, I think that whatever is going on with your Boost light is a canary in the coalmine for a much larger issue.

• First, can you change your Sonosnet channel from 6 to either 1 or 11. Without a network scan it’s difficult to advise on which end of the spectrum is less busy. If you would like, you can go to Settings > System >Network> Wireless-Setup. If you click “wireless set up but do not complete the process, your Sonos system will scan the network channels. If you then submit a diagnostic report, that report will then include information on neighboring network traffic and I could then advise on what channel is best.
  • Next, change your router’s channel to 6. This will keep your router on a non-overlapping channel and will reduce interference with your Sonos system and with other networks.
  • Third, the Router → Switch  → Switch → Boost → Playbase configuration is asking for trouble. Can the Boost be wired into the main router or even to the first switch? The Playbase can be wired directly into the second switch if necessary but I would not recommend it unless its absolutely necessary. 

Could the set up be changed to something more like either of these?

• Main router → Boost → )))Sonos 
  • Main router → Switch → Boost   

If you could make some changes and then submit a follow up diagnostic report along with how the light on your Boost is behaving, I would be happy to work with you on this.

I changed it to "living room 2".

Wifi is on 7 for the 2.4HGz and 36 for the 5HGz

The Boost is connected to a network switch.  There are two network switches between the Boost and the main router on the other side of the house. The Boost then connects to the living room playbase and they are sitting directly next to each other on the entertainment center. 

To make sure it is clear the connection goes like this: 

Main router>>Switch>>Switch>>Boost>>Playbase

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Thank you for the diagnostics

Can you change the name of your Boost so that it doesn’t overlap with your Living Room/Playbar?

Can you provide some further detail about what this Boost is wired to and what is wired to it?

• Is your Boost connecting to your main router or to a secondary router or access point?
  • Are your Boost and your Playbar immediately adjacent to one another?   
  • Do you know what channel your home WiFi network/router is using?

Some of these questions are tangential to the immediate issue, but I believe in holistic technical support since Sonos relies on multiple overlapping systems to work well.

One small problem could well be influencing another small problem, and so on.  

Sure,  the confirmation is 1617074762

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out to us with your question. 

I’m not sure that most folks are aware that the status light can be disabled on Sonos products, let alone on Boosts.

Can you  submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app and include the confirmation number here so that we can take a look at what might be going on here?