Answered

Boost to Replace Bridge on Verizon FIOS and EERO Network

• 25 July 2018
  • 1 reply

I've had a SONOS system running for several years now on the old traditional setup that relies on a "bridge" device from Sonos. The network provider is Verizon FIOS Quantum.

(note: if you aren't familiar with how Verizon works and their cable boxes being contingent on the FIOS gateway AND the fact that Verizon basically doesn't let you take their router out of the picture...then please don't reply. Also, yes, I know that if you're really network savvy the Verizon FIOS Quantum router can be completely bridged and then you can use your own router etc....but have no intentions of doing that for this particular home setup.)

We have two current challenges with the network:
a) unreliable connection of SONOS speakers to the existing mesh network
b) unreliable WiFi connections for non-Sonos devices throughout the home

I intend to fix b) thru the use of the EERO system. My FIOS gateway will continue to provide internet content to my cable boxes and then the EERO will be setup with a static IP and in the DMZ of the FIOS network. Then all wireless devices will be configured to use the EERO network SSID as opposed to the FIOS SSID (which I'll eventually turn off completely).

I intend to fix a) by adding the boost and removing the bridge

QUESTION:

What's the proper way to "remove a bridge" and then "install a boost" ? OR is the correct sequence to first "add boost" and then "remove bridge" ?

I assume that I'll want to plug the boost into the back of the EERO device and not directly into the back of the Verizon FIOS quantum, correct ?

If I only have 3-4 speakers in my system; is it easier for me to just do a hard factory reset on all the speakers, physically remove the bridge from my home and then introduce the boost first ? And continue with the setup from there ? And when the wizard asks about a current system say "YES" and provide my username and password ?

Are there any other "gotchas" that I should be aware of with this setup ? Especially with the EERO being added into the mix at the same time?
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 25 July 2018, 20:07

QUESTION:

What's the proper way to "remove a bridge" and then "install a boost" ? OR is the correct sequence to first "add boost" and then "remove bridge" ?

I assume that I'll want to plug the boost into the back of the EERO device and not directly into the back of the Verizon FIOS quantum, correct ?

If I only have 3-4 speakers in my system; is it easier for me to just do a hard factory reset on all the speakers, physically remove the bridge from my home and then introduce the boost first ? And continue with the setup from there ? And when the wizard asks about a current system say "YES" and provide my username and password ?

Are there any other "gotchas" that I should be aware of with this setup ? Especially with the EERO being added into the mix at the same time?

Hi hitechupgrades,

I'd recommend adding the BOOST before swapping out the BRIDGE. This way you don't accidentally set up the BOOST as a new system. Once added, you should be able to power down the BRIDGE as long as the BOOST is connected via ethernet cable, and the rest of your Sonos system should stay connected as is.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

QUESTION:

Hi hitechupgrades,

I'd recommend adding the BOOST before swapping out the BRIDGE. This way you don't accidentally set up the BOOST as a new system. Once added, you should be able to power down the BRIDGE as long as the BOOST is connected via ethernet cable, and the rest of your Sonos system should stay connected as is.