Answered

Boost sucks. Why?

• 6 February 2020
  • 30 replies

Badge

I have over 10 players in my Sonos network. I haven’t had practically any problems in the system with the Bridge.

I was fool to believe the Sonos mails about replacing the Bridge with Boost. I replaced it and throw away the old bridge.

With the boost there was not a single day without problems. All my family members were really annoyed and they insisted me to solve the problem. I was lucky to get a second hand bridge. The boost is thrown away and the bridge is replaced. Now the system is working fine again (no problems so far).

I really don’t understand the Sonos message about the Boost benefits. I have not seen any.

I have worked with computers over 40 years, but I have not seen any Sonos technical document, which could explain the behavior. The home network is so simple, just a router and WLAN.

icon

Best answer by Bert Bollen 22 March 2020, 15:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

I learn something new every day around here. Thanks, boys. Interesting read, ratty. Crazy first sentence:

The near–far problem or hearability problem is the effect of a strong signal from a near signal source in making it hard for a receiver to hear a weaker signal from a further source...

Userlevel 1

Okay its time to apologize.

During this Corona lockdown I found the time to move my boost to a different place and, it works now.
So Ken, you were right when you said “Finally make sure the chosen wired Sonos network device (Boost etc.) is at least 3-4 feet away from the main router that it is wired to.”. This did the trick.

So my apologies to the community and Sonos. The boost does work as long as you dont place it next to your router (which still seems the most obvious place when you want to install the boost).

Bert

Follow up: 20 days later the boost is acting up again. Seeing 1, then 3, then none of my 4 devices. I havent changed anything. Just out of the blue the Boost stopped working again. So I gave it a reboot and it works again. Dont know what happened here. I still think it's odd behavior for a device that promises to maintain stable connections.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Not convinced about moving the Boost away from router plays a significant role - mine is about 10 cm away and I’ve never had any problems.

Just sayin’ ...

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

So Ken, you were right when you said “Finally make sure the chosen wired Sonos network device (Boost etc.) is at least 3-4 feet away from the main router that it is wired to.”. This did the trick.

I have one BRIDGE on the same bookcase shelf as my router, as this is the only SONOS item that needs to be wired, all my other 8 devices are free standing and I have no issues. There was never any mention 10 years ago about proximity to router.  

Now BOOST is out there and am offered to upgrade, but sounds like it needs to be on the other side of the room. Is this not a backward step ? 

Or is a better solution to have a PLAY1, which I do next to the router in the office instead and no both spending £60 on a new product. 

I only have one legacy product (play 5 gen1) 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Not convinced about moving the Boost away from router plays a significant role - mine is about 10 cm away and I’ve never had any problems.

Just sayin’ ...

interesting  …