Question

Boost, router, or sell it all?

• 6 January 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
Tired of dropouts

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Probably the easiest way to stop dropouts is to use the standard Sonos setup. It'll make it so that your Sonos is running on its own channel and it'll remove your WiFi setup out of the equation. All you need to do is have one of your devices physically plugged into your network via Ethernet. Whether that's a boost or one of the speakers. With that setup each Sonos device effectively becomes a wireless repeater for your Sonos. The more you add? The better the connection.

To be blunt. If you are running a WiFi setup and are having issues with range? It's probably not the fault of the Sonos. If your Sonos is getting spotty reception then any WiFi device you use is probably going to be the same. So if you really want to use the WiFi setup then make your your WiFi is good first before blaming the Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Frankly. If you really want some help, and there are plenty of people here who can and will, you're really going to give us just a tad more to go on.
I was having dropout issues a few years ago with multiple units and running a bridge. I purchased a boost and it has been rock solid ever since. Why don't you buy it direct from Sonos and if this does not solve your issue then return it under their 100 day policy.
Badge +1
jesus even this forum is annoying...can't even intuitively figure out how to post.
Badge +1
Sorry, I had a problem with the form to submit my question. I run 4 Play 5's, a Play 1, and a Sub nearly all in different rooms. I have a traditional setup with a bridge connected to an older apple airport extreme wireless router and that is fed by an xfinity cable model which gives me typically around 75mbps. Recently I've experienced the usual "can't connect", or "insufficient speed to buffer". I've run diagnostics which show no interference between components, which leads me to my aging router. Now I'm looking at either a new and improved router (any suggestions would be great) or possibly a sonos boost, but not sure if that's worth. So in a nutshell that's my issue. I've run the standard unplugging of all devices and letting them boot separately to eliminate IP conflicts, but not doing the trick. Thanks for replies in advance.
Badge +1
Does the boost replace my bridge?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes it would. Are any of the speakers close enough to wire to the router?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'd be happy to take a look if you'd like to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number. If you can do this when you have a cutout it'll help us see what's happening.

Wiring another player into the network would also help identify if there is an issue on the wireless.