Question

Boost problems

Hi

I’ve been having ongoing problems with Sonos after a major network outage early in lockdown.  We ended up replacing our router for a Virgin Hub 3.0.  Having read about issues with these, I split the wifi signals into separate 2.4 and 5Ghz networks and have been controlling all the Sonos speakers via the 2.4Ghz.  We were continuing to have issues with speakers disappearing until by accident I switched off the Boost (which I had been using for a few years) and have been running the system without that for a few days.  

Today my daughter told me that she can’t really pick up the 2.4Ghz signal from her bedroom so hasn’t been using her speaker.  So I thought I’d try the Boost again to see if it improved things at all.  And surprise surprise we’re back to square one with only one of the speakers being picked up via the app.  

What am I doing wrong?

Chris 

10 replies

Try unplugging all your Sonos devices, including the BOOST. Then reboot the router. When the router come back up, plug in the BOOST that is wired to the router first, and wait a minute for it to finish booting up. Then plug in your other Sonos devices. Once they are all showing up in the controller, remove any information about your network SSID and password from the controller, as you don’t want the speakers to be flapping between your own WiFi signal and the one generated by the BOOST. 

Hi Bruce

Thanks for replying.  Two quick questions: 

1. How do I ‘remove any information about my network SSID and password from the controller’?  I control via my iPhone and thought I needed to signed into the 2.4Ghz network in order to control Sonos. 
  2. Would you think that the BOOST network will have better reach than the original wifi one?

Otherwise, I’ll give it a go shortly and report back. Thanks again, 

Chris 

1. Not 100% sure, since I don’t have a network set up in my system, I use a BOOST as well, but if you open the controller, go to settings, then select System, then select Network, then select (here is where it gets hazy) either Networks or Wireless setup, you should get something like ‘delete this network’.
  2. Better than a BRIDGE, most likely, it was designed with better, faster, and newer components. Better than your own WiFi, who knows. A SonosNet network is still WiFi, just one you can’t ‘see’, and is still subject to the same wifi interference that your own WiFi is. It does, however, have the benefit of taking all the music bandwidth off of your own WiFi. 

Hi Bruce

So I did all the above and it worked perfectly with all speakers connecting until we tried to restart after an hour’s break.  Now none of the controllers will recognise the system at all.  Just getting the “Unable to connect to Sonos Fix It” message.  

I am planning to contact Sonos next week but in the meantime any help gratefully received.  

Chris 

Try the process of unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then rebooting the router again. Then plug back in your Sonos Devices. 

This has all the hallmarks of a BRIDGE issue, not a BOOST issue. Are you sure which device you have? Once you have the system back up and running, submit a system diagnostic as a baseline, and hold on to the number, for when you contact Sonos. There may be information in it that will tell them why everything went offline again. 

Thanks, Bruce.  I am sure I’m using a BOOST.  Adding back the Sonos Devices now (bit laborious as I’ve got 8 of them spread around the house but three done so far and all going well) and will then get a diagnostic.  

Thanks for offering advice.  Will keep you posted.  

Chris 

One option would be to wire directly, albeit temporarily, to a regular speaker with an Ethernet cable, and see if that resolves the issue. Then you could isolate it to a potentially failing BOOST. Honestly, if I were you, I would submit a system diagnostic, and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, and are available Monday through Friday during business hours. Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. 

Hi

Thanks for suggestions. Spent two hours on phone with the Sonos team earlier today.  All my Sonos equipment is looking fine so they think it’s a compatibility problem with my Virgin Network (Hub 3.0).  Now working it through with Virgin.  

Will keep you posted. 

Chris 

Virgin are saying that I’ve got too many devices on the system - 8 Sonos speakers via the BOOST, plus 2 Virgin boxes and the assorted iPhones, iPads and computers that come with a family of four with two teenagers in lockdown. 

Probably right but not sure what the solution is.  They suggest I get a Booster https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-is-a-powerline-booster but I’m not convinced.  I reckon that I need to upgrade from the Virgin Hub 3.0 to something more powerful.  

Any recommendations?

Sonos tends not to play well with PowerLine devices, but some people are able to get them to work. Given that in BOOST mode, there’s only a single point of connection to your router, the only thing that I can think of is a lack of IP addresses, which doesn’t make a lot of sense in a newer router, but then I’m not familiar with any of the equipment Virgin uses, since I’m just a Yank. Most ‘modern’ routers have 255 addressable IP spaces, it’s hard to conceive that you’ve reached that limit. Or, it’s possible the rep you spoke with didn’t understand the situation. 

Perhaps someone from the UK can add more information here.