Boost powerline adapter problems

• 25 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Anyone experiencing issues with Sonos Boost and Powerline adapters where plunged into the same router? I’ve setup Boost through which I have c.5 Sonos devices with the Boost connected via ethernet to my router. All plays fine, everything happy.

However if I then activate my TPLink AV600 Powerline main connector (connected via ethernet to router and plugged directly into power socket), the router loses all connectivity. Sonos goes offline. Switching off the TPLink AV600 main connector and the router recovers and Sonos recovers. 

And vice versa. Switching off Sonos and enabling TPLink AV600 Powerline main adapter and the rest of the network is fine, all TPLinks operate normally. Then powering up the Boost (whilst its connected via ethernet to the router), takes everything offline again.

V.frustrating.

Anyone have any ideas?

I was assuming an IP address clash but doesn't seem to be it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Is there a Sonos device wired to the remote powerline adapter?

Ratty - no Sonos devices wired to powerline adapters. I started with that setup (router → powerline main → powerline adapter in another room → Sonos product (via ethernet port)) but was experiencing dropouts so bought the Boost to aid the wifi direct (SonosNet) option. 

Confusingly, if I remove the Boost entirely, and setup my Sonos via plugging any of the devices (say, the Play 3) directly into the router via ethernet, the wifi mesh comes up and everything works. Occasionally then the furtherest device in the house goes offline (loses wifi signal) - hence the need for the Boost. However, on an operating setup, if I then plug the Boost into the router, the whole network goes offline, until I disable TPLink (or Sonos) and allow the other to recover.

The TPLink Powerlines in theory don’t have IP addresses (no option to reset them) so I’ve ruled out an IP address clash.

Its got me stumped. 

Anyone have any ideas?

I’m afraid not - not sure that it’s helpful, but I’m using AV600 Powerline adaptors feeding a Play 5 and also a ZP90 and they work fine - I don’t use a Boost, though

Badge +20

@Scropolous 

The TP link powerline adapters, they aren’t by any chance the ones with wifi?

@Scropolous

Good point - mine aren’t….

@Scropolous

@ Belly - they are indeed WiFi enabled (AV600). I’ve changed WiFi channel on router and the Av600 clone it (for a continuous extended signal) with Sonos on a separate frequency so don’t think they clash. System is currently running with TPLinks for main network mesh and Sonos on its own WiFi mesh without issue (minus Boost). Adding the Boost in results in router losing connection (eg request timeouts on google ping) until either Boost or TPlink disconnected.

Badge +20

In the Sonos App, settings… System… About My System. All Sonos devices should be labelled WM0 if you have a Boost or any Sonos device hardwired.