Answered

Boost not working on S1

• 10 September 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi!

I have problem with my old sonos system after switching to a new router ASUS Rt-ax82u. To adress the problem i’ve bought a sonos boost.

I’ve reset all devices and chose a new system in the S1 app. However the problem is that the S1 app says it cant install the boost.

I guess the boost came preconf with S2 software so is there anything I can do to downgrade? I’ve tried to factory reset the boost.

BR

anders 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 September 2021, 22:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Connect one of your existing S1 speakers to the router with an ethernet cable. Do a factory reset on only the BOOST, then go through the process of “adding” the BOOST to your system. That should, assuming that S2 was on the BOOST, reset it to S1….but it requires your S1 controller to be connected to an S1 system, which is why wiring one speaker to your router for this process is essential. 

In the future, please don’t “reset all devices”. It’s a great way of erasing all of your settings, etc, but pretty useless for fixing problems. And tends to confuse everything. 

Is there a particular reason why you want to stay with S1, rather than S2? Do you have a device that can’t be upgraded?

Hi Bruce!

Thanks for your response.

I actually got the S1 app to recognize the boost and ”upgraded” it so it could be addendum. I think what helped was that I’ve rebooted by router after all devices was facory reset and then added the S5 speaker first and then added the boost as yet another device.

Unsure now if the system is on the seperate boost dedicated network bur anyway the boost is the devices connected via wire to my router now.

Are there anyway to tell if the system is using sonos dedicated network via boost?

If you look in “About My Sonos System”, each device has a WM:X number at the end of the paragraph.

WM:0 = connected by Ethernet, or wirelessly over SonosNet via a BOOST or other wired speaker

WM:1 = connected wirelessly over WiFi

WM:2 = connected wirelessly as a bonded speaker in a Sonos HT set up, where the whole system is in WiFi mode (i.e. no Sonos component is wired).

And, if the BOOST is indeed wired, and you have a recalcitrant speaker not showing WM:0, there’s no reason not to unplug that particular speaker for a minute, then plug it back in. It should “revert” back to WM:0 at that point. Do not “reset” the speaker. Just power cycle it. 

Hi again!

Check, all devices are om WM:0 so it seems fine then.

Thanks for the help

Have a nice day

Br

Anders

Badge

Since the most recent Android S1 App update (11.2.10) which forced a firmware update to my 8-player Sonos system (ONE Zone Player wired, all other WiFi connected), my Boost (series A100) no longer can be used as an extender in wireless mode, only as an Ethernet connected access point. I did reset it and then added it back (wired) and can confirm it and all my other players are updated to 11.2.10 - the most current available, build 57719010.  But if I disconnect the Ethernet connection it disappears from devices and can't be made to rejoin, either by power cycling, 'find a missing device' or by trying to 'add Boost or Bridge'. My 70 year large old home has real plaster on expanded metal lath (a true Faraday cage!) and without the Boost, one remotely located player has inconsistent function.

I thought it worth trying to use my old Bridge which I kept after updating to the Boost, since the App says 'Add a new Boost or Bridge', but I still have the same problem: I can connect the Bridge with an Ethernet connection, update the firmware and join , but after disconnecting the Bridge it also disappears from devices and won't reconnect by restarting power, it can't be found by 'find a missing device', and if trying to 'add a Boost or Bridge', the App defaults to: 'Product must be wired.......Once you have completed the setup, you can move it to your desired location.' NOT.

It appears Sonos Tech support is on vacation, not responding to initiate online chat, and phone support says ‘tech support not currently available’!

Badge

Sorry - false alarm: The setting on my Ethernet-connected Zone Player had defaulted to “WiFi OFF” after the firmware update reboot. Set back to “On” and now the SonosMesh is reestablished and the Boost can now rejoin the network.