Boost and Music Library

• 25 February 2021
  • 6 replies

I installed a Boost into my system 2 months ago. All seemed to work well. Then my controller wouldn’t connect to my music library which is stored on a laptop. I tried a library update but this had the same outcome. I disconnected the boost and reconnected my speakers via my router and all worked fine. I then reconnected the Boost , all worked fine and then after 7-10 days same problem occurred. I reset everything as previously , all was fine and then 7-10 days later the problem reoccurred. This continues to happen . Does anyone have any ideas what the problem / solution might be. I have tried Factory resetting everything and reinstalling from scratch but the problem still happened. I have 5 Sonos Plays connected 4 as two stereo pairs and 1 stand alone. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I believe that whatever the issue is, the Boost has probably nothing to do with it. 

How is your laptop connected to your network?  If it is wireless then the connection is using  your WiFi and that is the most likely point of weakness.

What wireless channel is your router on? What channel is SonosNet using?

Hi John B 

Thanks for your response. My sonos net is using channel 6. My virgin router has channel optimisation . Effectively it looks to use the best channel. Do you think it could be that this could cause a problem if the channel gets automatically changed on the router ? 

I would just mention that radio channels do not get affected when this issue happens.

Hi. I would definitely choose a fixed channel for your router. Use 1 or 11, as SonosNet is on 6. You could experiment with different combinations.  The channel width should be set at 20MHz. The Boost should not be within a couple of feet of the router. 

Please would you confirm how your laptop connects to the network?

Hi

Its a wireless connection and sits about1 metre from the router.

If the suggestions made so far do not help, I would connect the laptop by Ethernet.  I'd be tempted to do that anyway.

Hi Thanks for the help I will try out these suggestions and see if it sorts the issue.