Answered

Blu Ray's go mute when I begin the movie

• 27 February 2018
  • 6 replies

The sound works fine when I'm watching the previews & even the disc menu but when I start the movie it goes mute. My phone app says "Unsupported TV Audio". I had an LG 4K Ultra HD player then I went to return it because I thought it was this then I came across a Samsug Ultra HD for way cheap so I got it. Came home played one movie & it was fine but the second movie did the same thing. WHY IS THIS? Some help please
icon

Best answer by Paulw123 27 February 2018, 18:29

The tv has to pass through DD5.1 over optical to sonos as well, which not all tvs do.
To take tv out the equation first, you could connect sonos to Blu-ray player via optical and see if you can get it to work.
If you tv won't pass DD5.1 through, then you might need an optical switch for sonos, so that it could take more than 1 optical input.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos only supports DD5.1
Unfortunately most blu-rays have DTS or higher codec.
You need to set your Samsung player to decode DTS to DD5.1 on the fly,in its settings.
The sonos app will tell you what format is playing on your playbar or playbase, either DD5.1 or stereo.
load of threads on here about lack of DTS support.
Sonos says Netflix only does DD5.1, so where's the problem.........
I saw your comments on another chat Paul & Ive messed with it but not getting it to work. Only gone into Samsung audio settings. Tried auto & PCM. Pcm didnt work at all. Auto through previews & disc menu but stopped working when played movie. Back to unsupported tv audio. Havent played w Tv (Sony 850 55") settings or Sonos settings
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The tv has to pass through DD5.1 over optical to sonos as well, which not all tvs do.
To take tv out the equation first, you could connect sonos to Blu-ray player via optical and see if you can get it to work.
If you tv won't pass DD5.1 through, then you might need an optical switch for sonos, so that it could take more than 1 optical input.
Ok. I went to the Samsung audio settings & went to output format. Tried them all (Auto, PCM, Bitstream (Unprocessed), Bitstream (Re-Encoded DTS) & Bitstream (Re-Encoded Dolby D)) & the last one is the one that worked. Bitstream (Re-Encoded Dolby D) now the movie is playing through my Sonos system
Thanks Paulw123
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yep bitstream re-encode DD is what you want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Glad you got it working.
Also good job you got a Samsung, as only that make and xbox seem to decode on the fly as reported on here.