blown play 5 speaker. told i need to pay $400 for replacement

Play 5 speaker decided to blow on me after about 2 years. I don’t even listen to music with loud base. I have about 20 different Sonos speakers and this is the only one I’ve had problems with. I contacted online service team and they said because it’s “out of warranty” i have to pay 400 dollars to replace. Plus I have to send this blown speaker back. So I have to pay 400 on top of what i originally paid? That just sounds crazy to me. I’d think that these speakers should last way more that two years for the price point. Makes me want to just take my money elsewhere

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

The speakers DO last longer than two years. I’ve had my Play:5 since 2018. You just happen to have one of the rare exceptions that didn’t last.

I know you aren’t happy with paying $400 to replace the speaker (I wouldn’t be either). But you seem to be content with 19 of the 20 Sonos devices you own. That’s a pretty hefty investment. Why give up on Sonos now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can purchase extended warranties for Sonos products that will reduce your risk. I buy a 4 year one for any Sonos I am giving as a gift.

Usually from Costco but I have also gotten one from Amazon when I ordred the Sonos from them due to better delivery options.